Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

speedometer issues suburban

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer issues suburban

I am new to this forum and did a quick search on this topic and found none. please help.
I have a 2005 4wd chevrolet suburban. the speedometer has started to act very sporadic. reads doesnt read or gets stuck on one speed. any ideas on how to fix.
Thanks Paul
Old November 9th, 2009, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same suburban and mine did the same thing. the only thing I could do was to replace the whole dash unit. They said it is a gear problem inside the speedometer.
Old November 9th, 2009, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

I called the dealership they said 95 for diagnostics and we will go from their. the dealership said it is an electronic speedometer even tho its not digital it may be the ipc. i disconnected the battery for an hour and hooked it back up and so far so good. but if it is a gear or computer problem it willl probably come back. any more thoughts??????????
Paul
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Not overly familiar with the problem, however, I have heard that the instrument clusters on the 00 - 06 units have some known problems where they do what you are describing. I have also seen on ebay that if you do a search of the instrument cluster, you'll see someone offering to rebuild your cluster, which if nothing else suggests that it can be fixed. I think it has something to do with soldering in a couple of new components. I dunno if that's much help, but that's my 02 cents. Might be worthwhile doing some googling and see if you can find someone who's posted a repair thread with pics.
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Wink

pberesford,
I had the exact problem with my 04 and bought the service from the guy on EBAY that will recondition your instrument cluster for about 90$ and then does some other recommended stuff for additional $. I ended up with the whole deal and a transmission temp gauge for 200$. This is WAY less than the dealer wants to 'fix' your problem for you. The man on ebay is very cordial, home business he and his wife operate. I spoke with him on the phone to check it out and he was very nice about all. I had it back in about 4-5 days. The problem will only get worse as mind did. I did a little research prior and found that this is indeed a problem on the suburbans. Hope this help, Good luck, Dukman
Old November 14th, 2009, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

If the truck has under 80,000 go to GM and they will replace the entire cluster at no charge. Otherwise the cheap way is to do it yourself.

the upgraded replacement servo motors costs $3 each on ebay with $10 flat shipping regardless of quantity. Eventually they will all do it, so buy 6-7 and replace em yourself.

Mine started a few weeks ago, but I have GPS speedo on my phone and keep turning the truck off and on quickly to reset it back to 0 and it will be fine again for a few days. Eventually I hope to find a 2500 HD overlay so I can add the trans temp gauge to my cluster when I break down and do the repair.
Old November 15th, 2009, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

Eagle
can you tell me where you can find them on e-bay i must not be looking in the right place i cant find any. I would like to go this route it would be fatster than waiting on mine to be fixed and sent back.
Thanks Paul
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

Search ebay for "Silverado stepper motors" and the cluster motors will show up.

How many miles are on your truck? I've read where some can get the free repair at miles exceeding the 80k. It all depends on the dealership and doesn't hurt to ask.
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stepper Motor

Go here for the stepper motors or service.There some knock-offs on the net that end up failing and giving you the same problem as before.I purchased 2 sets for my 2004 tahoe from this guy a few months ago & Ive had no issues since.These are the newly updated stepper motors which you can install yourself with supplied directions or opt to have your cluster serviced by this guy who will do the stepper motor install for you.

He has a great rep/feedback scor.
Here is the link:
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/mandigital