Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2013, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Speedometer not working

I don't know if this has been discussed in the past, but I have some info on how to fix a malfunctioning speedometer on a 2005 Suburban. I had researched quite a bit of info on what might be the cause of the speedometer not working correctly. I ended up saving a significant amount of money. The speedometer quit working, specifically if I was going a slow speed the speedometer showed I was going 60 mph, but the speedometer would still actually move a little. When I turned the vehicle off the needle still remained at around 60ish and did not drop to zero. So I determined it wasn't the stepper modules, but something else. If the speedometer gauge did not move at all I would have contributed the problem being the stepper modules, but this wasn't the case. I researched a little more and discovered about the vehicle speed sensor or VSS. I bought one at Autozone for $27 and replaced the old one and the speedometer started working again with no issues. I am by no means a mechanic, but with a little research, I was able to fix the problem. I hope this thread and information is able to help someone else like me. And I am new to this forum, so if anyone has any specific questions about what I did, you can contact me on here. Thanks.
Old September 20th, 2013, 3:58 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the DIY info. It could prove very helpful to someone in the future.