Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Speedometer question

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2006, 3:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer question

If I replace my speedometer in my 2007 tahoe, will the computer automatically update the mileage? And does the GM service link via onstar actually track the mileage on the 07's?

Thanks
Old December 5th, 2006, 2:25 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Speedometer question

It's covered under warranty, there's only one reason that someone would monkey with a new vehicle's speedometer and it's not advisable, the mileage is stored in several different locations and would take a technician all of 30 seconds to figure out the actual mileage.
Old December 5th, 2006, 2:44 PM
CF Junior Member

yeh if you install a new gauge cluster say the escalades then itll show Zero miles........... just stick something on the inside of the door jam that says you have swaped the cluster
Old December 5th, 2006, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

I think you got the wrong idea ZX. Nothing shady going on here, I was thinking of putting an aftermarket speedo in for asthetics. I was just wondering if I need to take it to the dealer to update the mileage or re-program it or if it would do it on it's own.

Also, to hijack my own posting topic:

Does anyone know of any problems regarding the fuel filler neck. Everytime I put gas in my 07 Tahoe I have to stand by the pump because it keeps shutting off. It doesn't seem to matter where I get gas at, it does it everytime no matter how I position the nozzle. It's like the gas is flowing back up the filler neck.

Thanks for your posts.
Old December 5th, 2006, 5:00 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I see, they make face overlays that do not require changing the speedo and they look very good, I haven't seen any aftermarket speedo heads for the GMT900's yet, where are you getting the unit from? (if you don't mind sharing with us).
The dealer can set the correct mileage after the install as well they just would need to verify actual mileage before the speedo is changed.

Your fueling difficulty is probably not the fault of the truck, it is more than likely an issue with variations in OPW 11B fuel nozzles at the gas stations that you have just happened to use so far.
Old December 5th, 2006, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

I was actually thinking of looking into 07 Denali clusters. They appear to look a little different, but I wasn't sure. I just started the process of looking. Can you point me in the right direction for the overlays you spoke of?

Thanks for your posts.

P.S. I assume you work for a GM dealer or service place. You seem very knowledgeable.

Thanks again.
Old February 26th, 2007, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

On my 2004 Chevy Tahoe (84K mi), the speedometer just stopped working. The needle just points straigth down & we got a check engine light that came on. When we took it to the Chevy dealership, they said that they would have to replace the entire instrument cluster & the estimate was over $600. Is that right?? Do they really have to replace the entire instrumet cluster & is that a fair price to do so??
thanks to anyone who can provide me with some guidance.
Old February 26th, 2007, 4:11 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.usspeedo.com Has some great overlays! Post pics if anyone has or installs one!
Old February 27th, 2007, 3:50 AM
CF Active Member

us speedo also sells complete clusters with the faces already installed.
Old March 5th, 2007, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: cmboal

And does the GM service link via onstar actually track the mileage on the 07's?

Thanks
Is this true ?? How ?? That would seem to be a bit of a privacy issue wouldn't it ?

Quick Reply: Speedometer question