Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

spider injectors 96 k1500 suburban.

Old August 24th, 2012, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spider injectors 96 k1500 suburban.

Hi every1. I have a 96 Chevy k1500 suburban. I am down to the spider assembly. I cannot figure out how to remove the injector poppets without damaging them.

One idea I had was to pour fuel injector fluid into the fuel inlet and use a hand vacuum pump to pull it through the injectors. I don't know if I need to apply a voltage to the injector to make it open or not. I am assuming I do but don't know what the voltage would be.

I have inspected the unit and believe that only a cleaning is necessary. I wanted to remove each one from the assembly but don't know how to do that with out damaging the poppet.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh. byw I did do a leak down test and it passed so I am confident that the system is just clogged.

David
Old August 25th, 2012, 6:47 PM
CF Senior Member

What about upgrading to the new style amazon has them for about $280 the old style will only give you problems down the road
Old August 25th, 2012, 7:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree with shamrock. the stock poppets are extremely flawed. so much so that gm did issue a tsb years ago. gm used the upgrade style in most cases to replace stock unit. i personally did the upgrade a few years ago and was impressed and glad i did. even if you clean the stock unit well it still isnt a good system. buy the upgrade unit. youll be glad you did
Old August 26th, 2012, 4:22 AM
CF Beginner

I have looked at the upgrade units. Converting to the MFI upgrade was considered however, it is my daughters car and we are working on an extremely tight budget. After further evaluation of the spark plugs I believe they are getting fuel. We cleaned the unit as best as possible and I was thinking about checking the timing chain before I put it back together. I think that is the only other possible explanation. We have Spark, air, and I am pretty sure fuel. The fuel pump was bad and has been corrected showing about 61 psi. It was originally believed that someone had put something in the tank so someone rigged the pump to pump all the fuel out of the tank. I think the pump ran the tank dry and burned up. I did not find any sediment in the tank when I cleaned it out. So back to the basics, I have spark, air, and fuel. The only think left that would stop it from starting would be timing i think. Oh, btw, it would run (poorly at best) when you continuously sprayed either in the TB. That's what lead me to the injectors. But if the timing chain is not right you would get the same result, right? Let me know what you think. Thanks so much for your help.
Old August 26th, 2012, 4:32 AM
CF Beginner

BTW, every1, you cannot clean the ejectors with a hand pump and voltage to the poppets. I was able to open the poppets with the voltage just used 12V. Using the hand vacuum pump however, cannot simulate enough pressure to get fuel to flow through the injectors. The only other idea I had was to plug in the unit and attach the fuel lines but I could not get the lines to seal with it only partially assembled. Not sure if I just did not think that one through enough or if it just can't be done... Let me know what you think.
Old August 27th, 2012, 4:43 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by wizardsinsight
But if the timing chain is not right you would get the same result, right?
Don't think so. If the chain isn't right, it wouldn't matter where the fuel was coming from. Therefore I think you have a fuel problem.
Old August 27th, 2012, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Well, just for my own piece of mind I checked the timing chain. There was just a tad over a 1/4 inch play so I doubt that has anything to do with it. It looks like I am going to order the upgrade MFI unit for it unless any1 has any other suggestions. I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. Your all great.
Old March 9th, 2023, 2:59 AM
CF Beginner

Timing isn’t the problem the spider injector IS. You say 2 cylinders are showing a miss fire it’s because they are flooded and the plugs are fouled. What you are thinking is timing is Hydo-Lock it will get worse until it blowers the plastic intake off the engine or worse , damages the valve train and possibly pistons. I would not recommend one but you can get the new style injection systom MPInjection for less than $200 on line but it’s after market , I would recommend getting a rebuilt AC Delco spider MP injectionI got mine with all the gaskets for $435. Those popit valves got to go.