Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Squeaky

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky

Is anyone else here having this problem? The squeaking is driving me crazy!! [sm=insomnia.gif]

[align=center]Document ID# 1974648[/align]
[align=center]2007 Chevrolet Silerado - 4WD[/align]

Subject:
Power Steering High Pitched Whistle Noise Heard in Any Gear with Vehicle Warm (No Fix Available at This Time) #06-02-32-010A - (05/22/2007)

Models:
2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Silverado 1500, Tahoe
2007 GMC Sierra 1500, Yukon, Yukon XL

This bulletin is being revised because a new fix is being developed. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-32-010 (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition

Some customer may comment on a high-pitched whistle noise. This noise occurs just off idle in any gear with the vehicle warm. It can best be heard when seated in the vehicle, with the windows up, and the radio and HVAC off. The noise will be very low amplitude (low volume level) and very high frequency (similar to a dog whistle).

Cause

The source of the noise described above is internal to the steering gear. Engineering is currently investigating the cause of this noise and working to develop a correction.

Correction

No correction is available at this time. DO NOT replace the steering gear in an attempt to correct this correction. This bulletin will be revised when a fix becomes available.

Exactly the problem that I am having....I sure wish they had a fix for it.
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Squeaky

Yes, same problem.
Old July 30th, 2007, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem also.
Old July 30th, 2007, 5:35 PM
CF Active Member

Is the noise you're referring to sound like squeaky brakes almost? I have this problem when backing into the garage and I don't think it could be the brakes since I don't even have them engaged at the time. I especially notice it after towing the boat around all day. Is this the same problem as described above?
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

I did think that it sounded like it was the brakes at first. In fact that is what was when I took it into the dealership. After awhile we noticed that we could bearly even hear it when the window was rolled down. the squelling got worse when I tapped on the gas. This is when the dealership found this article....I only wish it included a fix
Old August 2nd, 2007, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Does anyone know what my options are? It's driving me crazy!! It is so bad some days, it gives me headaches. Is there a main customer service line I can call or something?
Old August 10th, 2007, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

I went back to the dealership last week and told them that I couldn't take the noise anymore. It was driving me crazy []

They told me that they would have their manager call me and he will see what they could do. I got a call first thing the next day. He told me that they talked with GM and they told him that they still did not have an ETA. He offered to go ahead and replace the part anyway because he knew that the problem was rare and it was fairly unlikely that the replacement part would do the same thing.

He than told me that one of his guys live just down the street from me and that they would be happy to pick up my truck the night before and give me a loaner in the mean time.

The guy came exactly the time that they said they would and gave me a decent loaner car. He dropped it off the next evening (right on time again), told me that it was replaced and working fine. They even washed and vacuumed it!!

I test drove it about an hour later, I could not detect the noise in the least.

Talk about great customer service!!! The service department experience was as great as the purchase experience!!!

The place is "Lynch Chevy-Ford" in Mount Vernon, IA

http://www.lynchgm.com/

I highly recommend them!!