Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Squeaky, Squeaky.

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2007, 6:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky, Squeaky.

A few weeks ago I was driving with my window down through a drive-throughand could hear a squeak coming from my carreverberate off the building. With every rotation of the wheelsI could hear asqueak. My first oil change is coming up, 24% oil life left, and I was going to have the dealer try to detect what is causing the squeak at the same time.

Anyone had this same issue? Any ideas what may be causing this?
Old March 5th, 2007, 7:10 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Squeaky, Squeaky.

Disk brake rotor coasting across pads noise, probably nothing to bother about unless you notice it when not driving next to a building or wall.
Old March 5th, 2007, 9:06 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Disk brake rotor coasting across pads noise, probably nothing to bother about unless you notice it when not driving next to a building or wall.
Ido notice it if I'm going really slow and stick my head out the window.

A few months ago a rock (gravel size) somehow got stuck between the driver side rear rotor and top of the caliper. The rock was large enough to scrape the inside of the rim and sounded horrible, like metal on metal grinding. Luckily the rotors’ braking surface and brake pads were unaffected. Wonder if this could have anything to do with it?
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:00 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably not related, I know this sounds like a cop out (it isn't); but it is very normal for disk brakes to make a slight noise (like you describe) at slow speeds, it does not indicate a problem and normally will require a pad and rotor replacement to quite but then the noise often reoccurs.
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice ZX.

Now Hatch, stop driving around with your head out the window.
Old March 6th, 2007, 1:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Probably not related, I know this sounds like a cop out (it isn't); but it is very normal for disk brakes to make a slight noise (like you describe) at slow speeds, it does not indicate a problem and normally will require a pad and rotor replacement to quite but then the noise often reoccurs.
Mine makes an occasional slight noise mainly after a night of rain or high humidity. Goes away quickly as brakes warmed up. I am guessing that its from condensation forming a little surface rust on the rotora that gets rubbed off as soon as the brakes are warm. I am not worried about it at all.
Old March 6th, 2007, 4:09 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: tahoe07

Good advice ZX.

Now Hatch, stop driving around with your head out the window.
I'm like a dog! Ears and lips flappin' in the wind.
Old June 4th, 2008, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: Hatchfinder

A few weeks ago I was driving with my window down through a drive-throughand could hear a squeak coming from my carreverberate off the building. With every rotation of the wheelsI could hear asqueak. My first oil change is coming up, 24% oil life left, and I was going to have the dealer try to detect what is causing the squeak at the same time.

Anyone had this same issue? Any ideas what may be causing this?
Whats up people. I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 Classic and I have the same exact problem. I did the same thing and stuck my head out the window while I was going slow and could still hear a slight squeak. Sometimes I can hear and sometimes I don't....very odd! I notice that if I move the truck from side to side it will squeak more but if I go straight it wont make the noise or do it less often. Not sure if the squeak happens at higher speeds since I do not hear it over the wind but it does sound the same as what was said above.

Just seeing if anyone has any ideas of if you still think the brakes are the cause of this minor problem.
Old June 4th, 2008, 4:41 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I have ~7200 miles on my 07 and have only noticed brake noise when backing out of the garage in the mornings but its gone by the end of my street. deffinitly happens after I wash the truck and like engine2 said when the humidity is high as it has been lately. As dry as it is now I’d love to hear them squeking because of rain...
Old June 4th, 2008, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

See mine does not sound like that. I do have braking noise when I come to a stop...I can apply brake and it will not make a noise until I am almost to a complete stop. I figure that is the pads and not really concerned since I wil upgrade the brakes and rotors later on.The sound I was trying to explain happens if I dont hit the brakes. I cant hear the noise if the windows are rolled up, only when I stick my head out the window or if I am between two buildings for the sound to echo off. I seem to only hear the noise an lower speeds and also seems to be more frequent if I turn the steering wheel right and left.