Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Starter Brand Information

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2012, 1:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Brand Information

I'm getting readsy to replace the starter on my 02 Tahoe LT 5.3l Flex Fuel. I got a starter from Advance Auto but I want to get some reviews about this brand. If it absolutely sucks then I'll return it, but if it will do then I'll install it.

The starter is from ToughOne. It's a rebuild. Anyone ever hear about these guys??

My other option is to get one from the internet. The brand I keep coming across is Replacement and Powermasters. The price difference for all these is significant, so any info on these would be appreciated, especially ToughOne which is the one I got from Advance Auto.
Here is the site with 2 of the brands.
http://www.autopartsdeal.com/catalog...294962955+9248
BTW, I tried to google ToughOne and got nothing, which is not a good sign in my book.

Thanks

Last edited by rickp; November 26th, 2012 at 1:26 PM.
Old November 26th, 2012, 1:51 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Why not go back with a re-manufactured AC Delco ?
Rock auto has them for ~$100
Old November 26th, 2012, 2:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
Why not go back with a re-manufactured AC Delco ?
Rock auto has them for ~$100
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware. I'll look it up now.
Old November 26th, 2012, 4:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, I took it back. RockAuto had an new ACDelco, for just under the price I paid at Advance Auto for a rem. off brand.
Again thank you!!
Old November 26th, 2012, 4:22 PM
Administrator

Your welcome, follow up with how hard or easy it is to install and if you had any shims in place..
Old November 26th, 2012, 4:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Your welcome, follow up with how hard or easy it is to install and if you had any shims in place..
You know your the second guy that's mentioned shims. I have a Haynes manual and it doesn't mention anything about shims.
How would I know if I need them? If the truck is using them, wouldn't they be installed already?
Old November 26th, 2012, 4:48 PM
Administrator

They would be, just be mindful that they may or may not be there.. check to make sure they are not stuck to the old starter and accidentlly send them back with the core
Old November 26th, 2012, 6:28 PM
CF Junior Member

They would be, just be mindful that they may or may not be there.. check to make sure they are not stuck to the old starter and accidentlly send them back with the core
Good to know. I'll make sure I keep an eye out for them.
Old November 26th, 2012, 7:25 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the starter sounds strange when installed, it needs the shims.
Old November 27th, 2012, 6:16 PM
CF Junior Member

While waiting for things to get here, I went ahead and starter to look around at the wiring of this whole starter issue.

In hopes of being proactive last night I looked at the starting system electical chart and with a little research i decided to check as many electical connectors as I could.

With the help of my dremel, some electical connector cleaning spray and a little elbo grease, I took apart and cleaned the battery connectors, the junction box cables, possitive and ground , the ground to the alternator and to the chassis, as well as the fuses and relays in the fuse box. I even sprayed some cleaner in the ignition. Some of the connections had some corrosion others looked ok. But it doesn't take much to lose enough power to have issues.

This also brought up a question. i really wanted to remove the wiring to the starter and the solenoid but I dont' see how I can get that off without removing the starter first and them manipulating it in such a way to have better access to those nuts. Is that right, for my 02 tahoe, do i need to remove the starter before I can get the wires off??

In the end after putting everything back together, the truck started right up. I'm not holding my breath, but stranger things have happened if this little cleaning session ends up correcting this issue.

Quick Reply: Starter Brand Information