Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Strange growling noise

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2016, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange growling noise

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for your help. I have a 2007 Tahoe. For several months, I've been having this strange rubbing/growling noise that seems to be coming from the back. Its not a metal grinding noise. It almost sounds like a tire with a bulge or something rubbing a tire. It doesn't make the noise at faster speeds. Only when you slow down and only when you let off the gas. The slower you go, the louder it gets, regardless of driving straight or turning. It seems to slow down as the Tahoe slows too which is why I thought I had a bad tire. However, I replaced all 4 tires and it didn't go away. I've had it checked out by a mechanic and the fixed some bearings but didn't solve the noise. It does it every time I drive it. Thank you for your help. This one is literally making me rip my hair out.
Old January 14th, 2016, 3:31 PM
CF Active Member

Sometimes if the backlash on the rear differential is not within speck, it can make a growling noise. Or you may not have enough differential fluid. That's where i would start
Old January 15th, 2016, 1:56 PM
CF Veteran

jack it up and spin the tire by hand see if you can hear it, could be something simple like the dust shield rubbing on the rotor.

Differential related noises are normally more noticeable at highway speed or coasting, if you can only hear it going slow something is probably rubbing
Old January 26th, 2023, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ndjason2005
Hi everyone and thank you in advance for your help. I have a 2007 Tahoe. For several months, I've been having this strange rubbing/growling noise that seems to be coming from the back. Its not a metal grinding noise. It almost sounds like a tire with a bulge or something rubbing a tire. It doesn't make the noise at faster speeds. Only when you slow down and only when you let off the gas. The slower you go, the louder it gets, regardless of driving straight or turning. It seems to slow down as the Tahoe slows too which is why I thought I had a bad tire. However, I replaced all 4 tires and it didn't go away. I've had it checked out by a mechanic and the fixed some bearings but didn't solve the noise. It does it every time I drive it. Thank you for your help. This one is literally making me rip my hair out.
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever figure out what happened? I have the same exact sound only at low speeds.
Old January 27th, 2023, 8:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ndjason2005
For several months, I've been having this strange growling noise that seems to be coming from the back.
Is your dog missing?
Old January 31st, 2023, 7:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

haha so funny XD