Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2914 LTZ -> Cabin Noise? You have it?

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2015, 9:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2914 LTZ -> Cabin Noise? You have it?

When I purchased my LTZ I was amazed how quite it was inside. Came from Mercedes, and before that Lexus, that I had always considered quite. This seemed maybe even better.

But, now it has road noise. I have just over 17K miles on it. Even my wife notices it.

Actually, it is coming from the back, and sounds like tire noise. I wonder if the 20" tires are getting worn to the point that they cause noise. My expectations are that 20" tires won't wear as well as a smaller wheeled tire. I wouldn't have purchased 20" wheels if I had a choice, but other options I wanted then included this.'

Haven't taken to a dealer yet, and I don't really have any faith in them. They'd say it sounds normal to them, I'm sure.

Anyone else this experience?
Old July 5th, 2015, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it time for a tire rotation? You could easily notice if it is gone.

Just turning 6k... AC running with a good blower speed, XM46 blasting.. so I'm not noticing much else of anything
Old July 5th, 2015, 11:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Is it time for a tire rotation? You could easily notice if it is gone.

Just turning 6k... AC running with a good blower speed, XM46 blasting.. so I'm not noticing much else of anything
Tires were rotated a couple thousand ago, so not quite time. If it is tire noise, I don't think rotating them to the front would diminish the noise.

I don't hear it if I have radio going either. But if no radio, I definitely hear it.
Old July 8th, 2015, 11:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How are the tire pressures and how is the alignment. Anything that will cause the tire to scrub more against the road will increase noise. I just had the alignment checked on my 2014 2LTZ. It was out and I'm not surprised, especially with all the potholes we have around here.
Old June 20th, 2016, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 LTZ cabin noise - I have it, and maybe a solution

I, too have a 2014 Impala LTZ with 52 K miles and fairly new Pirelli tires. I have recently noticed road noise directly related to speed. I just had them rotated for the second time and the technician noticed that my left rear wheel was slightly out of round while attempting to check the balance of the wheels/tires. Gotta love those pot holes. I have ordered a new wheel - $509 delivered and hope that this will solve the noise help me keep these tires for a long time.
Old June 20th, 2016, 6:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by markje
I, too have a 2014 Impala LTZ with 52 K miles and fairly new Pirelli tires. I have recently noticed road noise directly related to speed. I just had them rotated for the second time and the technician noticed that my left rear wheel was slightly out of round while attempting to check the balance of the wheels/tires. Gotta love those pot holes. I have ordered a new wheel - $509 delivered and hope that this will solve the noise help me keep these tires for a long time.
FYI... Mine turned out to be a bad right rear wheel bearing.
Old June 21st, 2016, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default First the wheel, then the right rear slight noise

Thanks for the advice that the right rear wheel bearing was the culprit. When my inside left rear wheel was noticed to be ever so slightly out of round - enough that they could not check the balance, the shop manager also noticed that the right rear has a faint noise as he rotated the wheel. The suspicion then was maybe the parking brake, but I hardly ever use it. Now that you mentioned the wheel bearing and in the same location, we will look at that if the new left rear wheel does not solve the noise problem.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

More on Cabin Noise. First, I had the slightly dented wheel fixed back to round and nothing changed with my cabin noise. Then, since the shop manager suspected that the right rear wheel bearing was making some noise. I had the right rear wheel bearing replaced and the cabin noise went away. My car is a 2014 Impala LTZ with a bit over 50 K miles and new tires with about 10 K miles on them.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 11:12 AM
CF Active Member

I used to have it, turned out to be the tire pressure.
Old July 5th, 2016, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cabin noise - both rear wheel bearings

I posted earlier on this issue and have now had both rear wheel bearings replaced on a 2014 LTZ Impala with a bit over 50K miles. I had also replaced the factory tires at about 40K miles and have the tires rotated every 5K miles. I had a very slight bend in the inside of one rear wheel which affected the balance. The wheel was repaired and the problem persisted. The first (Right Rear) bearing was replaced and the noise was reduced considerably, but still some noise remained. Today the left rear wheel bearing was replaced as well, and the silence is golden.