Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban '09 Low Oil Pressure and Smoke

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2013, 2:46 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by HBGSUBURBAN2009
We are talking about more than 2qt shortage... is that still normal? Also I have been doing a lot of reasearch.. Take a look at this link... http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=168468

What is actually not right is that, GM knows about the issue and it is not recalling the vehicles.. that is at least my experience with Ford and Nissan, they EXCEL at it.. Only reason we bought the Suburban is the size as we have a big family but I am seriously considering buying an Expedition..
I would suggest getting it in to the dealership, as expressed above, there are several remedies that can be tried, the PVC, the oil shield...as I understand it GM considers 1 quart in 3k miles acceptable... are you running synthetic?
The synthetic seems to hold up better is the consensus I get from the forum... I have ran Mobile 1 since day one and have never added more then half a quart in the 7,500 between oil changes, if I have to add any at all... I have the 5.3 Flex AFM with 87,000 miles
Old September 4th, 2013, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking it t the dealership tomorrow for "diagnosis" .. I will update the thread as soon as I am back.. According to the bulletin what needs to be done for mine is to install the rocker arm .. I still believe they need to clean the pistons as there is smoke..

I 100% agree about the recall, it is happening so often and to so many people that it should not be up to the owner to experience the problem and get the issue diagnosed..

I mean.. It is not a cheap car...

Do you guys now if there is a Class Action Lawsuit already for this? Maybe it is time to initiate one if there is not one already..
Old September 4th, 2013, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought suburban with 100k. I'm going to be keeping eye on oil level myself. Just curious what action gm is taking with vehicles out of warranty on this issue. If they are not doing anything how much does it cost to correct this issue out of pocket.
Old September 5th, 2013, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
You may need to have the PCV system serviced, this could be causing the high oil usage and could also be why its burning it...

Going to step on to the soap box for a minute...

Your manual tells you to check your oil at every fill up... its probably the single most vital fluid in your vehicle...make it a habit to check it every Saturday morning, it takes less then five minutes and half a paper towel, show your kids and your wife how to do it...

Stepping down from soap box now...
:-) I get the fact that fluids need to be checked.. HOWEVER... :-) the main reason I bought the car to my wife is that I did not want to have anything to do with anything other than gas and oil changes every now and then.. and.. around the 5th year change the car so I would not have to worry about anything...

My car.. on the other end.. it is a 10 years old car and I do everything myself, including oil chnages and tuning.. I even have a code scanner...

So the issue here is not about doing it, it is about spending a lot of money so I did not have to do it.. :-)
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let us know what the dealer said. Since GM went to AFM in 07 those engines have had issues with oil consumption.
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

lol I agree, Auto manufactures would do well to add a sensor to tell you to add or check oil PRIOR to it being near a critical point...

Honestly vehicles have become so advanced that it is easy to take even checking the oil let alone raising the hood on them for granted...

I honestly would be interested in having a "full service package" included with the purchase of a new vehicle, cost built in, or as an add on like an ext warranty that literally included every service requirement for a 4-5 year period but it needs to be comprehensive, including belts and hoses, maybe even a set of tires.
Buy the vehicle and all you are responsible for is putting gas in it.. I would pay 2 to 3k extra for that deal....