Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban '09 Low Oil Pressure and Smoke

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Suburban '09 Low Oil Pressure and Smoke

Hope you guys can help me out:

We have a 2009 Suburban LT, that last week started to puff smoke. Just yesterday after a 200 mile drive it gave us a low oil pressure sign for a couple of seconds ( after that we have not seen it anymore).

Oil % is at 67% so I did not think of checking levels, but some posts on this forum made me rethink and I will do it tonight..

A kid ran into a red light 4 months ago and hit us in the front of the car, It was fixed at the dealership so if this could have been caused because of the crash they should be able to take care of it..

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance!
Old September 3rd, 2013, 5:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend checking the oil level. The 5.3l V8 with AFM have been known to have oil consumption.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 6:29 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

HBGSUBURBAN2009,

The Oil Life Monitoring System essentially calculates how long the oil in the system can last based on different circumstances (driving habits, environment, etc) and does not keep track of oil levels. We would also recommend keeping an eye on oil levels. If you have any warranty questions or would like assistance getting set up with a dealership to get this looked into, we're available.

Sarah (Assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 3rd, 2013, 7:09 PM
CF Junior Member

There is an oil level sensor and the DIC will tell you if you need to add oil.
Old September 4th, 2013, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Angry

Thanks a lot for the prompt help!

I did check the oil level , and was SHOCKED that I needed to add more.. this is a 4 yearl old high end vehicle that I bought my wife so she did not have to worry about issues like this...(Only 40,000 miles)

I have a 2003 Windstar that does not consume a SINGLE drop of oil between changes... (I know it because I do the changes myself)

I forgot to mention, but both the passenger and rear power door locks are not working.. (My Windstar's power door locks and sliding doors work like the 1st day)

It is a SHAME that a 50,000 USD car has SO MANY issues after 4 years...

I guess it is time to go back to an Armada or an Expedition...

Sorry about the rant, it is just that was not expecting to have to deal with this issues (and spend the money $$$$$) this early in the game...
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You may need to have the PCV system serviced, this could be causing the high oil usage and could also be why its burning it...

Going to step on to the soap box for a minute...

Your manual tells you to check your oil at every fill up... its probably the single most vital fluid in your vehicle...make it a habit to check it every Saturday morning, it takes less then five minutes and half a paper towel, show your kids and your wife how to do it...

Stepping down from soap box now...
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Some oil consumption is normal in all vehicles. What constitutes as "normal" is debatable, so I won't get into that. I would say having to add up to a quart between oil changes on the Tahoe/Suburban is nothing to be overly concerned about. Just my $.02.
Old September 4th, 2013, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

We are talking about more than 2qt shortage... is that still normal? Also I have been doing a lot of reasearch.. Take a look at this link... http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=168468

What is actually not right is that, GM knows about the issue and it is not recalling the vehicles.. that is at least my experience with Ford and Nissan, they EXCEL at it.. Only reason we bought the Suburban is the size as we have a big family but I am seriously considering buying an Expedition..
Old September 4th, 2013, 1:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

should be a recall in my opinion and not only covered under warranty my .02
Old September 4th, 2013, 2:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Has your Suburban had the oil deflector installed to attempt to correct the issue? If not, I'd have my dealer do it ASAP and see if it makes a difference. Then, if that doesn't help, they can move to phase 2 and replace the pistons and rings. You won't have much of a leg to stand on until they've exhausted these options. After that you could have a case to have the engine replaced or other options.

Quick Reply: Suburban '09 Low Oil Pressure and Smoke