Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban Starter issue at 30 below

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2012, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban Starter issue at 30 below

Hello everyone,

Well, my beloved Suburban, Old Reliable, has not been living up to her name lately. Incidentally, she's a 1988 2500 with a 350 and 4 Wheel drive.

So here's the story. I came back to Fairbanks, Alaska from a few months away recently. Old Reliable, who usually starts no matter the weather, would not start. Turns out the battery was frozen. It was 30 below, afterall. So I thawed the battery out, took it to Napa, and had it charged. Battery came back charged and was diagnosed as working fine.

Plugged her in to Old Reliable. She has those screws that screw into the side of the battery, rather than clamping onto the terminals on top (What's that all about?). Lights, etc. all worked, but when I tried to start the engine, nothing. Well, not nothing precisely: I popped the hood, and could hear the starter click, like it was recieving a signal; but no cranking.

So what is happening here? Any help anyone can give would be very. . . helpful. It would be nice to have my wheels back, given that it's 30 below.

Thanks!

Jay
Old January 11th, 2012, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should note the vehical also has an aftermarket keyless remote start installed by previous owner.
Old January 11th, 2012, 4:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have an engine block heater? I would think those temps are not good for the engine or the oil.
if the starter just clicks I thought that meant the battery was bad? I would put in a different battery to make sure that isnt it.

oh BTW it was 65 degrees here today
Old January 11th, 2012, 9:04 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

When you go to the start position and hear a click, does the dome lite go out? If so, then either the battery is discharged or you have a bad cable connection either at the battery or the starter. If not, then probably a bad starter and/or solenoid.