Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Sway bar bolt-can't get nut to grab threads

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2021, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sway bar bolt-can't get nut to grab threads

My sway bar bolt sheared off and I bought a replacement from Napa. I have the new bolt and bushings in place, but I can't the nut to reach and grab on to the threads so I can tighten things up and call it a day.

I'm going to try using a pry bar to tighten up the spread, but if there's a better suggestion, I'd appreciate the tip. Thanks!

Last edited by rv-guy; June 29th, 2021 at 9:22 PM.
Old June 29th, 2021, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

that 's the ticket
Old June 30th, 2021, 12:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have to assume you have the wheel removed and the vehicle was jacked up by the frame somewhere and supported by a jack stand. If so, just place a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up a little but not enough to lift it off the jack stand.
Old June 30th, 2021, 1:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by KChevy75
I have to assume you have the wheel removed and the vehicle was jacked up by the frame somewhere and supported by a jack stand. If so, just place a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up a little but not enough to lift it off the jack stand.
Thanks for the great suggestion KChevy75! The truck is on a stand and the wheel is removed. I was going to give up for the night, but read your post and was excited to try it, so I went back to the driveway. I jacked up the lower control arm, but nothing seemed to budge. I was careful, and jacked it up some more, but still nothing. When I released the jack, I could see that I had jacked it up maybe about 1 inch. Should I have jacked it more?

I'm attaching some pictures to show my situation. The sway bar bolt is at an angle, and I think that's my problem. The grommets/bushings aren't seated as far as they need to be, is my guess. A pic is worth a thousand words, so I hope these help. Am I right that the bolt should be straight up and down, or is it OK that mine appears to be leaning. The original bolt sheared off several days ago so I'd have to remove the other wheel to see what it looks like. I've only driven it about 5 miles in it's current state. But I wonder if that caused things to become misaligned. Thanks again!

Old June 30th, 2021, 7:39 AM
CF Monarch

Received 341 Likes on 322 Posts

Your sway bar looks like it moved a bit to one side. Move it over a little so that the hole in the sway bar is directly over the hole in the lower control arm. I had that problem on a Blazer and moving the sway bar worked.
Old June 30th, 2021, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Your sway bar looks like it moved a bit to one side. Move it over a little so that the hole in the sway bar is directly over the hole in the lower control arm. I had that problem on a Blazer and moving the sway bar worked.
Thanks OldChevy! That makes sense. Is this next question easier asked than done---how should I do that? I tried tugging on it, then used a black pipe I use for a cheater bar as leverage, but couldn't get it to budge in either case.

The person at the parts counter told me I should reassemble with the wheel attached and on the ground. So, I tried that last night, but it didn't help in my situation. So, removed the wheel again and it's back on a jack stand.

I was tempted to loosen the bushing clamp to get some more play, but I'm a noob, and I was afraid if those bolts were rusty and crusty I might snap off the head...or maybe I'd loosen it and not be able to get the sway bar back in position properly. I'm a first-timer here, so let me know if those fears aren't justified. That's why I'm *so grateful* for this forum!! I couldn't do any of this stuff if I couldn't ask others for help : )
Old June 30th, 2021, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

This might be a dumb question...but would I be able to move that sway bar more easily if both sides were under jack stands?

I just watched a 1A Auto video and the tech was able to move the sway bar up and down easily with a 2 ft pry bar. Mine is only 1 ft...so I'm not sure if that would make all the difference. But in his case, the car is on a shop lift...so I thought if I took the weight off of the other wheel, I might be able to get the sway bar to move more freely.

Old June 30th, 2021, 12:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 341 Likes on 322 Posts

I used a big hammer and a pry bar and it move. It didn't have to move that far.
Old June 30th, 2021, 7:30 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Seems like if you put the jack under the head of the bolt and raised it up, that would allow the nut to be started.
Old June 30th, 2021, 9:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by rv-guy
This might be a dumb question...but would I be able to move that sway bar more easily if both sides were under jack stands?

I just watched a 1A Auto video and the tech was able to move the sway bar up and down easily with a 2 ft pry bar. Mine is only 1 ft...so I'm not sure if that would make all the difference. But in his case, the car is on a shop lift...so I thought if I took the weight off of the other wheel, I might be able to get the sway bar to move more freely.

yes...whenever one control arm is lower than the other....it tensions the bar....that is how it works to counteract body sway....controls arms at same height...no tension.
The following users liked this post:
73shark (June 30th, 2021)

Quick Reply: Sway bar bolt-can't get nut to grab threads