Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Switching from Synthetic to conventional

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2011, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from Synthetic to conventional

Normally I used Mobile 1 Synthetic oil in this 2006 8.1L Suburban. I went to the Chevy dealer and didn't specify Mobil 1 and the gave me conventional oil this time.

I don think this makes a difference but I never saw it addressed in this forum.

I think I will just run this conventional oil for 4-5 thousand miles and then change back to Mobil one. Anyone think this is a bad idea?
Old July 22nd, 2011, 9:55 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

jlee815,

Your dealership will put the recommended oil in your vehicle as stated in the Owner’s Manual. Your Owner’s Manual states you should be using SAE 5W-30. Are you using the same specs when you use synthetic?

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
CF Active Member

Will not be a problem.

You should switch to Castrol Synthetic. I had a Northstar in a Caddy I switched from Mobil 1 to Castrol Syntec and it went from burning 3 quarts between changes to 0 quarts. (Yes same oil specs)
Old July 22nd, 2011, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. Yes when using Mobil 1 I was using the 5W30. When I called the dealer to ask what weight the conventional oil was, they couldn't (or shall I say didn't) tell me when I asked. They appeared to read something that stated the oil met or exceed all standards for the GM vehicles. They also said that oil could be run with diesiel power plants. So i asked them if my oil runs low between oil changes what weight should I get to match what was there, they said 10W30. I didnt really like that answer but I accepted it. I was not burning much oil between changes maybe 1 quart at the most but I will investigate the Castrol Synthetic. I used to use their high mileage oil but never looked at their synthetic. So my original question still stands. Based on the internet it seems placing conventional oil in after running synthetic for a long time wont cause any harm. The "causing harm " stories I heard appears to be a myth or a valid concern a long time ago. if anyone wants to tell me their feelings I am all ears.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 9:35 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Your vehicle came from the factory with dino oil and you switched to synthetic so a temporary ( or permanent) switch back won't hurt anything, with the synthetic you get a hardier lubricant then the dino oil...
I have to remind my service writer every time to use sysnthetic, you'd think that would be in the system
I think I am going to add one of these and see if it helps, its from the Corvette engine which does come from the factory with synthetic....

GM Parts Direct...
GM PART # 12577268
CATEGORY: Engine Oil Filler Cap
PACK QTY: 1
List Price: $27.88
Price: $14.22
Attached Images  
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
CF Junior Member

I agree with others, it will not hurt anything. I 've heard of horror stories of people switching high milage cars from dino to synthetic, about the syn oil "cleaning" stuff out and clogging filters and oil galleys(sp). But I cannot confirm this.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the confirmation. The cap looks like a good idea.... How come before I started using synthetic, they ALWAYS asked if I wanted to use synthetic at each oil change. Once I went synthetic, of course they stopped asking and put in dino.. Murphys law
Old July 30th, 2011, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Check out bobistheoilguy.com

Excellent website. Not affiliated with any oil companies. More info on oil than you ever cared to know. After reading all of his info, you can make an informed decision regarding your motor oil of choice. Enjoy!