Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe 97, Failure after 2 hours riding

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2011, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe 97, Failure after 2 hours riding

I have a 97 Tahoe 4WD LT. The problem I have is when I'm on a long trip, specifically at 2 hours after starting the trip, the truck does not accelerate over 2500 rpm. After 15 minutes of this event, does not accelerate to more than 1800 rpm. If full throttle, then makes a misfire but not off. Runs out of power!

In the dashboard, no warning no light during the entire trip.

To solve for the trip, I stop by one or two hours to cool down and reset the trip for another hour until it returns failure.

Help me please! thanks
Old December 6th, 2011, 1:11 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well...

pull the battery for 1/2 hr, then put back to clear anything out.

Check simple stuff first
air filter
oil level

2 hours would be long after it heats up... so I wouldn't think a seal or similar.

what about the TPS?

Can you pull codes even if no idiot light is on?
Old December 10th, 2011, 3:34 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Check fuel pressure and then look into a tune-up if pressure is OK.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

sorry but i need help too guys? HEY guys I NEED HELP !!!!!!! I have a 1995 tahoe with a 350 tbi. It has 250,000 kms and it runs like crap. It runs better in park then once you put a load on the motor the truck tries to die. It runs alot better when cold and if your driving at higher speeds (thats if it can even get to like 80 kms), and you put the pedle to the ground it sometimes dies or will down shift and try and take off but wont go anywhere. I have un plugged the o2 sensor and no change in running, i have un plugged the knock sensor and no change in running. The EGR is new i have done the distributor, cap, rotor, plugs,wires, coil, tps, map, tbi gasket, checked the fuel pressure its at 7 psi,grinded down the grounds, timed it, checked for vaccum leaks, and it doesnt throw a code. If there is anything else i could try PLEASE let me know. thanks.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by trevor.klassen@hotmail.com
sorry but i need help too guys? HEY guys I NEED HELP !!!!!!! I have a 1995 tahoe with a 350 tbi. It has 250,000 kms and it runs like crap. It runs better in park then once you put a load on the motor the truck tries to die. It runs alot better when cold and if your driving at higher speeds (thats if it can even get to like 80 kms), and you put the pedle to the ground it sometimes dies or will down shift and try and take off but wont go anywhere. I have un plugged the o2 sensor and no change in running, i have un plugged the knock sensor and no change in running. The EGR is new i have done the distributor, cap, rotor, plugs,wires, coil, tps, map, tbi gasket, checked the fuel pressure its at 7 psi,grinded down the grounds, timed it, checked for vaccum leaks, and it doesnt throw a code. If there is anything else i could try PLEASE let me know. thanks.
Multiple postings will get you nowhere.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 7:59 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Next time just start a new thread. You'll get a lot more input that way.