Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe brake issue

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tahoe brake issue

hey all,

i need some serious advice for this truck..... 1998 tahoe 5.7L 165K miles

apparently somebody put power steering fluid or something petrolium based in the master cyl a while back. i recently cleaned the whole system out will brake cleaner, and then installed new calipers, wheel cyls, master cyl, 1 of the 3 rubber lines (because the other two didnt want to come out), and the abs module (with a known good one off a buddys tahoe that he scrapped due to an accident).

so i bled the brakes a TON.... far over a gallon through it. no more bubbles, but the abs and brake lights were on. i bled it more but nothing changed

now i have been driving it, and the red brake light is off, and has been staying off.... the abs light is still on..... i dont think the abs is working.... i can lock the brakes up... the brake pedal is spongy, not like super spongy, as i can lock the brakes up, but its a little spongy up top and i can push it to the floor easier than i should be able to.... mind you i can lock the brakes up... ive driven over 1K miles like this without any issues

any help/advice is much appreciated!
Old December 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Keep trying...

Just in case you missed something, you might check out...

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ontentid=38615
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To properly bleed the ABS module you need to open the spool valves with tool J-35856(you need three of them) and have a scan tool to cycle the spool valves open to get all air out of it. Problem is usually only dealers have the scan tool that works on these ABS modules. I've been driving my 96 tahoe with the ABS light on for 2 years cause I can't make myself pay a dealer $300 bucks to bleed my brakes, just goes against teh grain. So light will stay on until I come up with a better solution. Good luck
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:30 PM
CF Junior Member

houston- keep trying what? normal bleeding? after it had no air at all i mustve put another 3/4 gallon through. thanks for the links. second one looks like itll be helpful, but i havent read it yet. i imagine i will need to do what chateau wrote about------------ chateau, i have heard of this before (the abs bleeding scan tool thing), but i dont want to pay the dealer either--- but i cant pass inspection with that light on- how do you pass?? and also, i heard that i can bleed the abs manually by locking up the brakes a bunch and then bleeding at the wheels again..... any info on that?

thanks all
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I was implying to keep trying to bleed them, but, I had forgotten how much you'd put though it already. Is there some sort of sensor, could that be bad ?
Old December 20th, 2012, 9:45 AM
CF Junior Member

its possible, but i just replaced the entire ABD module unit. i plugged all the plugs in.... can the abs light come on for air inside the module? but not the red brake light?