Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe or Suburban?

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2009, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe or Suburban?

First let me say I will welcome being pointed to a link where these opinions have been discussed. i couldn't find them with search.

I hope the experts on this site can help me choose my next vehicle. A bit about me and my needs for this Tahoe or Suburban:

$7k or less cash. I like the 1999-2001 years. I prefer the styling of the older model, but understand the brakes and other improvements were made with the newer models.

I've never owned a truck, always large sedans, though I've been fortunate enough to have known some great women in my life who insisted I drive their suburbans & blazers, so I am familiar with the dry & wet ON-road handling. I do have some mechanical ability, have changed smallblock heads, intakes, manual transmissions, clutches, removed AC & power steering in 80s camaros & mustangs. I like older vehicles because no payments means I am less concerned with fuel costs.

I need to feel like I'm never going to be immobile through the winters, as my business will see me having to travel from Franklin, pa to St. Mary's PA, to Harrisburg, PA monthly, even through winter. I'm not sure if I need 4x4.

I will only rarely (maybe twice a year) tow anything, maybe a few deer to the processor, maybe a motorcycle to the shop. The rest of the gear hauling will be inside the vehicle, and is mostly auto repair tools, camping gear, and my family when on visits, up to 7 people, but most probably 4 or 5 (myself included) typical slightly overweight Americans in their 50s.

My off roading will be limited to retrieving the aforementioned deer on a trail made for trucks, and driving my wife to some camping spots on rutted national park roads.

I need to appear not too flashy, I'm not interested in lifting the truck or putting large rims on it, although a rumbly exhaust is not out of the question.

Is a Tahoe or Suburban right for me? Thanks in advance.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not get me wrong I love my Tahoe (2007) but after having it for 2 weeks I wish I had got the suburban instead
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

the Suburban is a bit more roomy in length , the Tahoe is sportier because of its shorter length.
Both have the same transmission and engine options, tough to the best of my knowledge the Tahoe is the only one available in the Hybrid version (08 and up).
I would suspect for your listed expectations of usage the Suburban would be the better bet.
In the pre 2k models the rear seats fully folded down for a truck bed like area in both the Suburban and Tahoe. The Tahoe could carry a full sheet of plywood in the back with about 18in or less hanging out the back.
I do not know but would guess that the suburban would hold a full sheet with the doors / hatch closed.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Administrator

I owned a 1997 Tahoe 2wd 4door and loved every bit of it, engine held up well but I went thru brakes and a transmission in the 147K miles I owned it until it was totaled when a Buick pulled out in front of me, The Tahoe was driveable the Buick was bent in half....
Old June 3rd, 2009, 5:52 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies so far. Should I get 2wd or 4wd?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 9:09 AM
Administrator

that kinda of depends on the environment you expect to be driving in MOST, off road, snowy, icy, wet, towing have to drive no matter the weather then its 4x4 all the way.. if its just back and forth highway looks like your staying home because the weather is bad and its only big boxes and people your moving the go with the 2 wheel drive.
4x4 is lower gas mileage and more maintenance over the life of the vehicle
thou the 4 wheel drive will have a slightly higher resale as well as cost more to buy...

my 2 cents
Old June 3rd, 2009, 9:34 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tahoe v burban

In addition to the same engine / tranny / axles I would guess the burban has the same brakes as the tahoe... this means more weight to stop with the same equipment... The tahoe is also less weight to get rolling.... more MPG in the city...

I like the tahoe more due to the sporty looks / feel.

also the burban would not fit in my garage.

get a 07+

I loved my 95 but my 09... DAMN its like having a house with wheels that handles almost as good as a car!

get the 4x4, the MPG you give up will be damn well worth it the second you DON'T get stuck in snow... and 4-low can be useful for towing or moving things that need moved... like when our renters park infront of our garage and you get a tow strap and a tahoe and 4-low and move their pontiac like it's not even there...

the 3rd row in the tahoe is for show, since it eliminates 99% of rear storage... if you have to haul people and junk, get a burban, if its just one or the other, get a Tahoe... I removed my 3rd row and put them in the attic... now the rear has storage and I can move 4 with comfort... (i built a cool box for the trunk too)

also, get the power rear lift gate, its the coolest thing I have ever seen, and 10x more functional and useful than I thought it would be!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 9:57 AM
CF Active Member

By the discription you gave. I would go with the burb. Length = more room for stuff. Even with the rear bench in ours I still have 3 ft behind the back seat. We did a trip with 4 adults and 2 kids and still had room for all our gear. It was a comfortable trip. The added length helps with towing to even though you said you wont tow much. As for the 4x4 or not with me being in a northern climate I choose 4x4. You have to weigh the options with each truck you look at and say is it worth the price. Me i'm glad I went with the burb and 4x4. Just keep in mind if you go 4x4 you may be able to get going easier but you still stop the same as everyone else on the road.
Old June 7th, 2009, 8:40 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the Chevrolet Forum. Hope the input helps your decision. Personally from reading your req'ts, I'd vote 4X4 Suburban.
Old June 9th, 2009, 3:42 PM
TFG
CF Beginner

We have an 07 Tahoe. With 3 kids, and 2 dogs, we travel with our luggage in a travel bag on the roof. There is little / no room behind the 3rd row seats. We too looked at the Suburban, and still look at it as the vehicle we 'should' have purchased.