Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

tail light not working...

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2008, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tail light not working...

I just purchased a set of LED tail lights and I figured there shouldn't be much to installing them so was working on it last night. I ran into an issue and wanted to see if anyone else had seen or heard about this before. Maybe I did something wrong or there is something you could recommend.

- I removed the left tail light and the bulbs.
- I connected the stock bulb connectors to the wire adapters on the LED lights.
- I figured I would be good to go.
- Power it up and no lights come on.
- I thought I may have put the bulb connectors in backwards, so I flipped them.
- Now the LEDs flash for a second when I turn on the truck, but then stay off.
- The right side, which is still the stock tail light remains lite.

- I then thought maybe there could be something wrong with the little black box that comes with the tail lights, so I swithced it for the one from the other tail light,... same thing.

- I decided to just put the stock light back on for now.
- I figured it would come on just fine.... but the issue persists.
- With the stock bulbs now.... when I press the keyless entry the top light doesn't do anything, the lower one flashes, but then goes out.
- The blinker still works.
- I interchanged the top and bottom bulb, same thing happens.
- Seems as though something is wrong with the top socket, because it doesn't ever come on.

- I don't think there is an issue with the LEDs, but I must have blown a fuse or something went bad with my install.
- I checked the fuses and they look fine.

Any recommendations? I would really hate to have the take the Tahoe into the dealership for this.... I am pretty sure its just something that i'm over looking. Maybe you guys have come across something like that and could give me some pointers on things to check.

- I didn't even try installing the right light for fear of messing that one up to. I don't know how I could have done something wrong with something so simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old June 25th, 2008, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: tail light not working...

Update.....

I forgot to mention this. With the stock tail light back on. The the left tail light will not stay on, but if i press the brake pedal, it does work. That is very weird.

Any ideas?
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Don't know whatbrand or where you got yours but on my Eagle Eyes from Jeff at Custom Creations, you just have to be sure you connect the ground side of the LED connector to the black (ground) side of the bulb socket. It sounds like something is messed up on your truck now. I'd put OEM lites back in and take it to the dealer as it may have affected one of the many computers in the truck.
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, they are the Eagle Eyes. That is probably what happened, I may have had the +/- reversed. I may try out the right side and ensure that the negatives match up the first time.

Anyone have any ideas what may have messed up by inverting these. I would think the first thing to go would be the fuse, but from what I can see they look ok.
Old June 25th, 2008, 2:46 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Not sure how hooking them up backwards would mess up your OEM system but it sounds like it did something to it. You'd think hooking them up w/ reverse polarity would damage the LEDs if they didn't have reverse polartity protection which I'd think they would have.
Old June 25th, 2008, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Same thing happened to mine. I got two sets of taillights. The first set came with their own harness that all I had to do was plug into the truck. The second set came with no harness. I have to use my original one from my OEM lights. I tried the right one, and only the brake light would come on. No running lights. I checked the fuse neardriver side door and replaced one in there, but later, after assuming that it was the harness itself and buying a new one, I found out that there is ANOTHER fuse box under the hood. One of those fuses had blown. Replaced it and back to normal. I still haven't gotten around to trying the LED tails again. I did buy a box of the fuses though just incase I blow another one, when attempting it again.
Old June 25th, 2008, 6:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the IPCW set and they work fine. Had some intermittant contact issues with one of them but overall resolved it and it works.

Make sure to cover all the leftover open sockets and any holes with tape to make sure no moisture/corrosion gets in.
Old June 26th, 2008, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

I double checked my fuses again last night and looks like the left park under the hood was actually blown. I overlooked this one and was only looking at the fuses that seemed related to stopping or turning.

I was pretty sure it was a fuse or something that I was overlooking.

I didn't get a chance to install the LEDs again, but will make sure that the negatives match up this time.

I'll post up the results.
Old October 6th, 2008, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

I have the answer to your problem with the LED tails. If you will go to your local auto part store and buy load equalizers they will fix your issues. They are located with all of the replacement bulbs and fuses. Basically, they look rectangular with one black wire sticking out of each end. They are about $13.00 for a pair of two. You will probably need two pairs. Now, how to install them. You will need to locate the positive wire and the ground to each light socket that are going to be replaced with LED's. I used a test light which works pretty good. Take one end of the load EQ and splice it in with the positive and then the other end with the ground. Do that for the brake light socket and the turn signal socket on the left and the right sides. You will have used four load EQ's total, two for each tail light. Do not use a load EQ for your parking lights. After you have done that, plug in your LED's making sure you have the colored wires on the LED's with the positive wires in your light socket and the black wires from the LED's with the ground wires of the socket. When you go to test them out they should work with no problems. If you have trouble finding the load EQ's try going to Auto Zone if you have one near by. I found mine there. I had the same problems with my LED's and this fixed me right up. I hope you find this usefull.