Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tailgate Lift Glass Button.

Old November 9th, 2014, 5:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tailgate Lift Glass Button.

So my wife hands me a small plastic piece yesterday after we parked. I immidiately knew what it was being that the rubber around it had been deteriorating. It's the plastic mechanism for the glass release button. I'm pretty sure there should have been a spring to go with it. But no spring. Anyway. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement. And how hart it would be to replace??? TIA.
Old November 9th, 2014, 7:39 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Funny you point this out as I just noticed that my rubber cap for my rear glass is starting to show signs of dry rot I could feel it being a bit rough but its still in one piece and unbroken... I will see what I can find but please do post any finding you come up with...
Old November 9th, 2014, 7:53 AM
Administrator

The part number is 15798062

GM parts direct has it listed ( see attached picture)
and it is also listed on Amazon

What I don't know is if it includes the rubber button cover?...
Attached Thumbnails Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-release-switch.jpg  
Old November 9th, 2014, 7:57 AM
Administrator

Just ordered it from Amazon ~$20, will be here Tuesday. I'll follow up with it once I get the part and will update with the removal and install process w/pictures
Old November 9th, 2014, 8:44 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Might price check w/ dealer parts also. I get a pretty good discount at mine since I've been buying parts from them for years.
Old November 10th, 2014, 7:27 AM
Administrator

The part can also be found under D1994E, I tried looking up dealership parts departments but none seem to offer web browsing of parts on a Sunday evening, and can only be found during business hours M-S

Here is what I found on-line with just a few clicks... I have to add 8.25% for taxes in my state, shipping from Amazon was free but some of the others listed below charged for shipping...
I'll try to call a local Dealership for a price and update for the fun of it

Amazon $18.49
RockAuto 19.79
GM PartsDirect 22.65
O'Rilley $28.99
Sears $33.57
Ebay $36.85
Old November 12th, 2014, 9:02 AM
Administrator

Got my part in yesterday... its complete, rubber button cover and all...
Will wait till it warms up before attempting to install, I just don't do cold

The picture of the old button doesn't show what you can feel as the rough drying out rubber...
Attached Thumbnails Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-07-rear-glass-release-button.jpg   Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-1-old-button.jpg  
Old November 12th, 2014, 2:37 PM
Administrator

Default 07 Rear Glass release button replacement

Wow what an interesting repair.
I opted to try the recommend replacement procedure via removing rear hatch trim panel, to gain access to the lift-gate applique that contains the button, it also recommends the removal of the rear wiper motor to access 1 of the 4 retaining screws for the applique, this I found is not necessary if you have small hands and patients to get at it with an open end wrench via one of the access holes in the hatch frame.

It all turned into vain effort as the first attempted turn on one of the applique retaining nuts produced a crunching tearing disintegrating sound of the mounts for the retaining nut screw mount on the applique itself. I lightly tried another and the feel was not right so all work stopped.

You can buy a new applique for about $125 but will also need to paint it if you opt remove to it, it may also be repairable once you get it removed but I wasn't going that path.

I explored removing the license plate light socket to see if there was enough room to access the switch assembly but no go...

I looked at the new switch I had in hand and non-destructively dissembled it down to its 3 working parts, the main body, the rubber button cover and the inner button actuator, (FYI there is no spring)

I noticed the 2 retaining tabs that hold it in place and figured that is what have to attack to removed the old button from the outside...

I pulled the old deteriorating rubber cover off the old button and could not see or access the tabs, so a pair of side cutters used to nibble away at the outer retaining ring eventually gave me a view of those clips.

I used a pair of forceps attached to the old switch body to keep it from escaping into the body void, and nipped away all the ring until I could see and access both clips, I used a narrow screw driver to force the clips back on them selves and snap them off allowing the switch to come out the hole.

The wire harness/ connector is short so it would not come very far out but it was far enough to detach and reattach the new button. guided it back in and pressed it firmly from the outer edges and she snapped in and sat solid in the mount and it worked when pressed

Attached are the images I took along the way
Attached Thumbnails Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-rear-hatch-trip-panel.jpg   Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-rear-hatch-panel-removed-.jpg   Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-new-button-rubber-cap-inner-button-removed.jpg   Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-destructive-removal.jpg   Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-forcepts-saves.jpg  

Old November 12th, 2014, 2:39 PM
Administrator

remaining photos
Attached Thumbnails Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-forcepts-saves.jpg   Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-get-those-clips.jpg   Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-old-out.jpg   Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-clip-runaway.jpg   Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-new-ready-seat.jpg  

Old November 12th, 2014, 2:39 PM
Administrator

final install, good as new
Attached Thumbnails Tailgate Lift Glass Button.-good-new.jpg