Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Three weeks old and rearended already!!

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three weeks old and rearended already!!

My wife was coming home today in our new to us 07 Tahoe, and got rearended. She's OK, the Accord that rearended her is definitely not! The Tahoe did a great job protecting my family. I'm a bigger and bigger fan every week of ownership!

The Tahoe seems to only have deep scrathes on the rear bumper. I'm out of town until this weekend so I can't check it out until then. I had my wife check out the backup sensors, rearview camera, and tailgate operation, all OK. Does anyone have any advice on what else should I check?

Also, thanks for the advice on the splashguards a few weeks ago. I bought some on Ebay and installed them this past weekend. They look great, and fortuneately weren't dammaged in the accident.
Old May 20th, 2009, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the accident, I am glad everone is ok. Thats the reason I got my Tahoe as well, Its a security vault, same with my truck.
Sounds like you just have some bumper work to do, I hope the frame is ok. Thank gawd for insurance right?
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Sucks about the wreck. I'm really glad your family was ok.

You may want to check out your backup sensors yourself. One out of the forur of them could be messed up or misaligned, so you need to check each individually by backing each sensor up to a narrow pole or something equivalent.
Old May 28th, 2009, 2:29 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

A damaged sensor should send a fault message to the DIC.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. I checked each sensor individually, all were OK and no fault message. I couldn't find any damage other than four small scratches. The local chevy dealer inspected the truck and said it only needed a bumper repaint. But the insurance adjuster came today and said the "impact bar" was bent also. My plan was to just touch up the scratches myself, and pocket the insurance money, but now i'm concerned about the impact bar. I'm out of town again and can't check it myself until this weekend. Is the impact bar something a reasonably mechanically inclined guy can replace? Should I even bother if it's not even bad enough to be noticed by the dealership?
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

If not replaced, then it might adversely affect insurance company's liability in a future accident. Might check w/ your body shop on the complexity of the job.