Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire Pressure Sensor's in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2006, 5:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensor's in cold weather

So, last time we had the tires rotated, they re-aired the tires to 35psi and they reprogrammed the sensors appropriately. Now that the weather is colder, I know that the pressure goes up and down with the temperature, however when we had the ice/sleet storm last Thursday here in Dallas, The hoe was registering 26 and 27 psi on the front and 31 and 31 on the rears. I got the check air pressure warning and the light was on on the dash. I drove the hoe on Saturday and my wife said we needed to put air in the tires. I checked the pressure readouts and they were all reading between 30 and 32psi. Temps were not as cold as Thursday but they were still below 50.

Is anyone else experiencing drastic drops in air pressure from their sensors? Should I add it to my list of things to check/fix for my next visit for the dealer? Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old December 4th, 2006, 5:50 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Tire Pressure Sensor's in cold weather

The air pressure drops with colder tires and when you drive the vehicle or it gets warmer out, the tires heat up thus bringing air pressures back up. Is that what you were experiencing? I used to get low pressure on my Corvette all the time in the cold until my tires came up to temperature. Seems like it's operating normally you may just not be used to dealing with it in the southern climate.
Old December 4th, 2006, 5:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running nitrogen??? I think nitrogen may be less likely to change so drastically with the air temp.

Jason
Old December 4th, 2006, 7:14 PM
CF Junior Member

When we left Saturday morning for Home Depot, around 9, temps outside had to be around 35 and the pressure was back to 30 on one side and 31 on the other. Sat outside overnight. Not running nitrogen. Will keep an eye on it, I don't drive it everyday, it is the wifes but I am getting tired of her complaining about it.
Old December 4th, 2006, 7:41 PM
EPJ
CF Junior Member

That answers the question why I was noticing fluxuations in my pressure readings with the cold front vs more normal temps!!!
Old December 5th, 2006, 1:02 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Run mine at 35 psi and dropped to ~27 psi at 20F.
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, experienced the same thing as I also live in Dallas...told wife don't worry & put more air in to get it above 30 psi...all fine.

Which reminds me, to put in Nitrogen...

Can anyone recommend where to get Nitrogen? I heard Costco? Any other places...and costs??
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:23 PM
CF Active Member

We've had some fairly cold weather in SW Washington recently and I have to drag my butt to work at 4:30am everyday. The Tire Pressure warning comes on when I leave, by the time I get to work ~15-20 mins later its usually off. Should have paid more attention in those physics classes...cold air more = more dense