Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire pressure sensors question...

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure sensors question...

I want to buy a set of 24s (with an additional set of tire pressure sensors) to switch out with my stock 20s. If I keep both sets on the same wheel locations each time I switch them, will that keep me from having to go through the location learning procedure each time?
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:35 PM
H07
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Tire pressure sensors question...

I just switched mine out for some new wheels with the sensors...I had to re-train the sensors per theusers manual. I am thinking that you would have to do this each time you switched out the wheels.
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

H07,
How long does the re-train take? 10 minutes, 30 minutes?
Old June 27th, 2007, 1:03 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes you won't have to re-learn them and some times you will.
To avoid having to relearn the TPMS first make a note of each tire pressure with a good gauge then remove each tire/wheel and take them at least 100ft away from the vehicle before relieving the tire pressure, then mount the sensors in the new tires and set the pressure the same as the OEM and mount to the vehicle. If you have to relearn the TPMS it takes less then 5 minutes.
Old June 27th, 2007, 1:41 PM
H07
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: ATO21

H07,
How long does the re-train take? 10 minutes, 30 minutes?
Like ZX said...maybe 5 minutes or less, pretty simple operation evenfor me .
Old June 27th, 2007, 8:08 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

I think ATO21 was going to have two sets of sensors and wanted to know if he switches sets of tire/wheel combos, would he have to relearn. I'm guessing from my limited knowledge of how the TPMS works, he'd have to keep the dismounted set at least 100' from the truck or the system would be very confused.
Old June 28th, 2007, 8:32 AM
CF Addict

shark,
Good point I failed to comprehend ATO21's post.

If you run two sets of tires/wheels each with there own TPM's you would have to relearn them every time you switched sets and it wouldn't matter if they were stores close bye as the system can only store 1 set (4) in it's memory bank, that's why you can park your Tahoe next to another with no problems.
Old June 28th, 2007, 1:18 PM
Administrator

I didn't think about the other Tahoe problem. Pretty sophisticated system. Would be interested in how that's achieved like does each sensor have a unique address code or what.
Old June 28th, 2007, 1:29 PM
CF Addict

Tire Pressure Monitor Description and Operation
The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system warns the driver when a significant loss of tire pressure occurs in any of the 4tires, and allows the driver to display the individual tire pressures, and their locations on the driver information center (DIC).
The system uses the powertrain control module (PCM), instrument panel cluster (IPC), DIC, remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) a radio frequency (RF) transmitting pressure sensor in each wheel/tire assembly, and the serial data circuit to preform the system functions.
When the vehicle is stationary the sensor's internal accelerometer is inactive, which puts the sensors into a stationary state. In this state the sensors sample tire pressure once every 30 seconds and do not transmit at all if the tire pressures do not change. As vehicle speed increases, centrifugal force activates the sensor's internal accelerometer causing the sensors to go into rolling mode. In this mode the sensors sample pressure once every 30 second and transmit in rolling mode once every 60 seconds. The RCDLR receives and translates the data contained in each sensor's RF transmission into sensor presence, sensor mode, and tire pressure. The RCDLR sends the tire pressure and tire location data to the DIC via the serial data circuit where they are displayed as follows:
[align=left] • LF TIRE XX PSI[/align] [align=left] • RF TIRE XX PSI[/align] [align=left] • RR TIRE XX PSI[/align] [align=left] • LR TIRE XX PSI
[/align] The sensors continuously compare their last transmitted pressure to their current pressure sample and will transmit in re-measure mode if a 8kPa (1.2psi) change in tire pressure has been detected in either a stationary, or rolling state. When the TPM system detects a significant loss of tire pressure, the CHECK TIRE PRESSURE message is displayed on the DIC and the low tire pressure indicator is displayed on the IPC. Both the message and indicator can be cleared by adjusting the tire pressures to the recommended kPa/psi. The sensor’s pressure range is 0-102 psi. The sensors pressure accuracy from -10 to +70°C is +/- 13.7 kPa (2 psi).
The RCDLR has the ability to detect malfunctions within the TPM system. Any malfunction detected will cause the DIC to display the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message. For more information on other functions of the RCDLR, refer to the following:
Old June 28th, 2007, 1:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks. I should have just checked the service manual. Forgot what a treasure trove of info it is.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensors question...