Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire swap suggestions for a 2016 4WD Suburban LTZ

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2016, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have a 2500 and from what I understand they do not offer the Suburban in a 2500 any longer except special order for commercial use. I would likely have purchased a 2500 and did test drive a used 2012- 2500 from the same dealer but it was not in great shape so I went new. Are you saying with just a slightly taller tire like Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar 265-60-R20s which is more narrow and only less then an inch taller it wouldn't be able to be balanced? Or the same tire in a BFG All terrain KO? Sad thing is I am now thinking I would rather do a 1" lift and 1.5" level kit and put on 33"s so I assume this would just make the problem you are posting about more likely?

Thank you for the time and explanation. PG

Originally Posted by tech2
do y0u have a2500 series truck? If not,its more tire than what you need. You will never have a radial tire ply variation problem (vibration you can't balance out) with these tires as the sidewall construction is superior to std load tires
Old January 19th, 2016, 8:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

...all I am saying is a load range e tire is a better made tire than a std load tire.
Old January 19th, 2016, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

OK I took it as you were saying it would cause problems of some type with this post below. I took the "but" as meaning great tire not for this truck. Got it now. Thank you PG

"goodyear wrangler are a great choice but you will be into a load range e tire."
Old January 19th, 2016, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Wow I just read the consumer reports reviews that I could see on the stock
Continental CrossContact 275/55 tires and WOW they were all a 1 out of 5. It showed click here for all 47 user reviews but I guess since I am not a paid subscriber I couldnt see more. Ouch PG

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...s-99043763.htm

I did read reviews elsewhere that didnt sound so bad now.

Last edited by PGG`; January 19th, 2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I currently have the Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus on my 07 Tahoe. I love them. They do well in dry roads, wet roads, and snow covered roads. I've gotten about 69K miles out of them, and they are well worn. We are expecting some good snow fall here in Northern VA, this Friday and Saturday. And I plan on using my Tahoe to drive out in the snow Saturday morning. I'll report back on how well they do, on low tread. lol.

I also have a set of 2015 20" Tahoe/Suburaban wheels with the Continental CrossContacts that I bought from Ebay. And I don't have any worries that these tires will perform any less that what I have already experienced. Only drawback, was they did not help improve gas mileage as they claim, since they are supposed to be low rolling resistance. My gas mileage was just the same as before I bought these tires back in 2011.

Edit: Im using the 275-55-20 size of this tire. Also I like to visit tirerack.com quite a bit, and read the consumer reviews there.

Last edited by Typerod; January 19th, 2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old January 19th, 2016, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the report Typerod. I did look on Tirerack
thats why I edited the post with the last line not sure why consumer reports hacks them sooo bad on their page very odd. I guess Continental didnt pay them! Thats the way it normally works most places.

Thanks PG
Old January 20th, 2016, 2:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by PGG`
Thank you for the report Typerod. I did look on Tirerack
thats why I edited the post with the last line not sure why consumer reports hacks them sooo bad on their page very odd. I guess Continental didnt pay them! Thats the way it normally works most places.

Thanks PG
No problem! I'm happy to give some insight.
Old January 21st, 2016, 1:43 AM
CF Beginner

If you are looking for an agressive tread pattern the Cooper mt grabber is a great tire very tough looking with a 65k mile warranty.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks ChevySuburban00 I have heard several say that is a good option.
One of the ones I am considering.

I need a level kit that can be used with the magnetic leveling system
if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks PG
Old January 25th, 2016, 8:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Typerod
I currently have the Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus on my 07 Tahoe. I love them. They do well in dry roads, wet roads, and snow covered roads. I've gotten about 69K miles out of them, and they are well worn. We are expecting some good snow fall here in Northern VA, this Friday and Saturday. And I plan on using my Tahoe to drive out in the snow Saturday morning. I'll report back on how well they do, on low tread. lol.

I also have a set of 2015 20" Tahoe/Suburaban wheels with the Continental CrossContacts that I bought from Ebay. And I don't have any worries that these tires will perform any less that what I have already experienced. Only drawback, was they did not help improve gas mileage as they claim, since they are supposed to be low rolling resistance. My gas mileage was just the same as before I bought these tires back in 2011.

Edit: Im using the 275-55-20 size of this tire. Also I like to visit tirerack.com quite a bit, and read the consumer reviews there.
Blizzard update: Just wanted to give an update on how my tahoe did in the snow from the blizzard hitting the mid atlantic and upper east coast. It did well in the snow, I was very suprised, since my tread on the Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus' are quite low. I was a bit worried going to work yesterday morning, b/c they did not do a good job plowing my development. But I got of my neighborhood with ease. I did use 4HI, traction control was cutting in too often while using 2WD.

I do want a set of all terrains though. It will either be a choice from Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's or BFG KO2's