Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2011, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tpms

I am in the process of choosing a new set of tires for our '09 Tahoe LT, 4wd with TPMS. I am getting a couple of differing opinions on the need to have the TPMS serviced when the new tires are installed. I have been told that if the vehicle has rubber valve stems (which it does) there is no need to have the TPMS sensors re-built. This only applies to rubber valve stems. Hhowever if the vehicle came equipped with steel stems the servicing is manditory.
Opinions?
Many thanks,
Mr.B
Old September 23rd, 2011, 8:23 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

The only thing that I heard was that the 2007 steel stems were subject to corrosion in the Rust Belt states and were replaced w/ the rubber ones. Never noticed any problem w/ mine and they went back to steel stems sometime as my 2010 has them.
Old January 30th, 2012, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guys over at www.TPMSdirect.com is your #1 Source for all your OE TPMS needs! informed me that the TPMS for the 2009 Chevy Tahoe (and various Chevys that use Schrader 25920615 OE TPMS) have two interchangeable TPMS sensors - one with a metal valve and a rubber-valve snap-in type sensor.

I'd recommend that you shoot an email to their customer service department. The reps are quick to respond and their prices are very reasonable if you need to buy sensors.

Schrader 25920615 OE TPMS sensor
Chevrolet TAHOE 2007-2012 TPMS Sensor Schrader 25920615 - TPMS Direct for all of your TPMS needs!
Old January 31st, 2012, 7:38 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tires

I had the dealer put my tires on, that I bought from tirerack.com

they made no mention about the TPMS or billed me for anything related to it...
Old January 31st, 2012, 12:45 PM
Administrator

I'm watching this dude.
Old January 31st, 2012, 2:01 PM
CF Addict

Default watching

watching what dude?

Burban Steve seems like an ad...
Old February 1st, 2012, 5:59 PM
Administrator

That's why I'm watching him. Three strikes and he's out.
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I talked to the guys at Discount tires today and asked about the TPMS's in my current wheels as they are now coming up on 5yrs and 66k miles and I still have decent tread left but will be needing tires this year.

Anyway, I am most likely going to have the sensors replaced due to age, thou the tech said they go more by mileage as the sensors only work when rolling at they seem to start going out at about 90 to 100k... He said they have a scanner to check the life left in the sensors and that they would check them for free
They charge anywhere from $55 to $70 for each sensor and they need to all be replaced as a set. he said that I could provide my own sensors and they would install at no charge as long as I was getting tires too

Apparently the brand "Dill" is the best and last about 7-12 years but are $100 plus each

Nutshell:
last about 90k miles or about 4-5yrs
typically cost $60 each
Can be checked via scanner for life left in them

An informative article
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Battery Life
Old February 17th, 2012, 8:10 AM
CF Addict

I would have preferred all tail lights be legally required to be LED vs this tpms crap.

Hey; all 2014s MUST have all LED tail lights. They don't burn out, they are easier to see, they turn on faster (saving up to 14' at 70 mph)... mass production has brought the price down... and they DON'T BURN OUT.

if you're too stupid to see your tire is flat, then so be it. I'm just sick of following people with tail lights that don't light up!
Old February 17th, 2012, 9:08 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The TPMS is oddly enough for those that don't maintain their vehicles...
I have my tires rotated at every oil change or about 2x a year... I have never had to check my tire pressure, ( I do check the spare) the light has only come on once when it got really cold out...
If you maintain or have your vehicle maintained its unlikely your tires will ever be low...They are working on a battery-less sensor...

I DO think that the TPMS is a good idea for safety, if your tire starts going low the system will alert you long before you notice the tire is going low on a long road trip.. preventing a potential blow out at highway speeds...

I think LED's just make plain good sense from a power draw standpoint considering the power requirements of vehicles now and the demands we put on it with electronics plugged in...
We have had up to 5 phones and a couple of DS's plugged in PLUS pulling a camper trailer...

Quick Reply: Tpms