Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

TPMS relearn not working (Tire Pressure Monitor System)

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2020, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS relearn not working (Tire Pressure Monitor System)

Hello:
The Tire Pressure Monitor warning came on on my 2007 Tahoe came on several weeks ago.

I have researched this and everything directs me to perform the ‘Relearn’ process. However, that doesn’t seem to work.

A little background. When the light first came on, the pressure reading on the dash showed ‘—‘ for my left front tire. The other three showed the proper air pressure.

So, I took the next logic step and tried to ‘Relearn’. I have tried the two different ways that I found to start the process. One is to turn the key (but don’t started the engine). Then cycle through until I see ‘Press (check) to relearn’. The second method I tried was to hold down the lock and unlock buttons on my fob.

Both methods seem to start off ok. The horn beeps twice.

I then let pressure out of my left drivers side tire. I never get the ‘honk’ to tell me to move to the other tire. I have tried starting with a different starting tire. And tried every option I can think of. But, I never get the honk to proceed.

A few things I have noticed. All 4 of my tires now show the pressure as “—“. In researching, it appears that the light associated with the current ‘learning’ tire should blink. This doesn’t happen either. When I start the process all the lights are illuminated. That is: headlights, taillights and blinker lights are all on.

I would be happy to just pull a fuse so the warning will go away, but that doesn’t seem to be an option.

Any guidance or tips are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Old February 13th, 2020, 8:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

if the internal battery in the sensor is dead, it won't register. a shop would put the system into learning mode and see which tire sensors respond when prompted by a tpm registry tool. any that don't are most likely nfg and should be replaced.
gm tpm registry tools can be bought for cheap https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-...9sb3I6T3Jhbmdl
Old February 13th, 2020, 9:45 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

We bought our 2005 Yukon in 2010. The TPMS was first-year, and did not work. Since our other 5 vehicles are older than 2005 and do not have such system, we check tire pressures manually each month, the old fashioned way.

As vehicles get more "sophisticated" electronically, don't forget to wave a dead chicken over your head while standing on your left foot.
Old February 14th, 2020, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if the internal battery in the sensor is dead, it won't register. a shop would put the system into learning mode and see which tire sensors respond when prompted by a tpm registry tool. any that don't are most likely nfg and should be replaced.
gm tpm registry tools can be bought for cheap https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto-...9sb3I6T3Jhbmdl
thank you for the response. Is the internal battery you referenced, part of the sensor inside the tire? Or is there a battery somewhere (outside the tires) that I can replace?
Old February 14th, 2020, 7:45 PM
Super Moderator

the battery is internal to the sensor located in the tire. you can't replace just the battery; if the battery in the senor is bad you need a new sensor.
Old February 14th, 2020, 9:18 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

My TPMS experience was that the batteries are good for about 6-7 years.
Old February 25th, 2020, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Relearn TPMS with sensor outside the tire

Hello:
I purchased the tool suggested in this thread and can now determine that my passenger/rear TPMS is bad.

Im mainly interested in suppressing the dash message.

I thought maybe I could scan a working sensor/tire twice and the system would be happy and the light and would go away. It seems only let you scan a tire once in the relearn process.

one other thought I had. Could I buy a working sensor and NOT install it inside the tire and scan it? I’m basically trying to fool the system and get me by until the next time I need to buy tires. I’m pretty sure this won’t work, but I thought I would ask.

any other work arounds/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I did notice a kit is available. You drill out the core of the stem. That looks kind of questionable and the kit is expensive.

thoughts?
Old February 25th, 2020, 1:56 PM
Super Moderator

you can't buy a sensor and not install it as the sensor needs to be rolling to wake up.

post a link to the kit
Old February 26th, 2020, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
you can't buy a sensor and not install it as the sensor needs to be rolling to wake up.

post a link to the kit
Thank you for the response. This is a 2007 Tahoe and I was under the impression, this isn’t the type of sensor that requires the tire spinning (indirect I believe). The answer is still probably the same. I would have to figure out how to put 32/psi on the sensor.

but I thought I would ask.

if anyone know how to suppress the message, it would be greatly appreciated. I know there is a simple method, which is to put tape over the light/message.

but would prefer not to do this.

regards,

Old February 26th, 2020, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

you got some bad info. the sensor goes to sleep when not moving to save battery life and wakes by centrifugal force of a spinning wheel.

Quick Reply: TPMS relearn not working (Tire Pressure Monitor System)