Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

TPMS relearn not working (Tire Pressure Monitor System)

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2020, 1:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
you got some bad info. the sensor goes to sleep when not moving to save battery life and wakes by centrifugal force of a spinning wheel.
Ok, I’m new to this. So if the sensor needs to spin to work, that makes sense. I did read about this and how it calculates the tire pressure based on the spinning of the tire.

However, when I ‘relearn’ the positions, the tires aren’t spinning. So I’m still a little fuzzy on how that works. Entering relearn mode must also wake the battery somehow, without the tires spinning.

sorry to seem a little slow, but trying to see if I can out smart this thing.
Old February 27th, 2020, 8:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

it does not calculate pressure based on a spinning tire. It calculates pressure based on pressure.
for what you are saying to work; you would need to enter relearn mode then register all sensors each time the tmp sends a signal to check pressures. the non rotational tire would go to sleep after its registered. the other rotating tires would send periodic signals.

I don't get it...you are ok to buy a $70 sensor but not pay the $30 it costs to break the bead and install it? you would be better off learning how to break the bead and install the sensor then trying to trick the tpm system