Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

transfer case/transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfer case/transmission issues

I have a 2004 Z71 Suburban with approximately 189k miles. Approximately 1.5 months ago I had the transfer case rebuilt at my local garage's recommendation. My SUV could only be driven in 4WD. Last night, while driving the same situation surfaced. Only able to drive the SUV in 4WD.

I took the vehicle back to the garage that rebuilt the transfer case. They are now saying the transmission needs to be replaced. Hate to be a girl, but would the vehicle be able to be driven if the transmission was "out"?
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum Ogara.

That sounds SO fishy it stinks ! Since they didn't repair the transmission, there's no warranty for that, and I'd get a second opinion from another Shop. Your problem sounds more electronic/control than it does mechanical.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SWHouston
Welcome to the forum Ogara.

That sounds SO fishy it stinks ! Since they didn't repair the transmission, there's no warranty for that, and I'd get a second opinion from another Shop. Your problem sounds more electronic/control than it does mechanical.
Thank you! I've been doing a lot of internet searches. Would the actuator have anything to do with this?
Old December 3rd, 2013, 1:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OgaraMastiffs
Thank you! I've been doing a lot of internet searches. Would the actuator have anything to do with this?
I wish I could be more specific, but situations like yours are very hard to diagnose by the written word :biggrin:

Go to a reputable Shop and let them listen and check it.
Old December 17th, 2013, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

You probably didn't need the t-case rebuild either.

This sounds like a symptom of a bad encoder motor. This part mounts to the side of the transfer case. It is about a $200 part ( reman works just fine). I think it is two hours labor.

A bad trans WILL NOT force you to drive in 4wd.

I usually would not recommend this, but take it to a GM dealer and get this fixed the right way, may cost more but they won't rebuild a major component when it is just a sensor or other small component.