Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Trouble refueling 2013 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trouble refueling 2013 Suburban

2013 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, Automatic, LT, 135,xxx mileOK, here is the problem. This happened all at once. When refueling (E-85 or UNL) I can only put in 0.2 gals before the nozzle shuts off. I can refuel the tank at a flow rate of approx. 1.0 gpm (30 mins) to refuel. I do see fuel backing up in the hose where the nozzle is. I replace the Vapor Canister Vent Valve with “ACDelco 23481275 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister Vent Valve” Problem persists. I then replaced the Vapor Canister (I used compress air to blow out the line from the canister to the gas tank) I used ACDelco 22963841 GM Original Equipment Vapor Canister. Problem still persists.Any Ideas. Could there be a anti siphon device in the tank malfunctioning? James
Old May 29th, 2018, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update, I found the problem this weekend. Between the fuel tank and the “Fuel Tank Filler Neck” (FN947) assembly is a rubber hose connecting the two. The hose had a hump in it about 2” from the end. Inside this hose is a round double-mesh stainless steel screen. According to Chevrolet this screen does not exist. Believe me it does. I removed the screen (I had to oval the round screen to grab it with needle nose pliers to remove it) and it was 80-90% gunked up / clogged with a gooey rubbery substance. It must have come out of the fuel pump hose/nozzle when i was refueling. I have a locking gas cap. I still installed the new “Fuel Tank Filler Neck”. Now to trace down that screen part number and reinstall it. If I find any more Info I will post it.

Now I can refuel 30 gallons of fuel in just under 5 mins, not 30 mins. LOL If you have the same problem, check for the screen in the hose before replacing over $300 in parts.
Old May 29th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

i believe you if you say its there but i doubt its a factory part. can't say i ever seen a mesh screen in a filler neck from any manfacturer. No need to put another one in. if you need to put a mesh screen in your filler neck...you have issues with your fuel storage tank or fuel supplier.