Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

truck doesnt recognize new airbag sensors

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2018, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck doesnt recognize new airbag sensors

Hello Chevy drivers,
i have a issue and i hope someone here can help me out. got the dreaded service air bag message on the dash, scanned the codes came back front impact sensors bad. i went ahead and replaced both sensors with plug and play sensors from rockauto "dorman" brand. Scanned the truck after install was complete and i got new codes B00083/84 which means left and right sensor "component incorrectly installed" dont see how that is possible, since its practically impossible to plug these sensors incorrectly. according to the rockauto info page these sensors do not require any reprogramming, simple plug and play. so can anyone please guide me to a solution to this problem? besides not having the full protection of the truck i truly hate seeing any indicators on my dash. thanks in advance for any help in this matter
Old November 21st, 2018, 9:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

model year, engine ?
Old November 23rd, 2018, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
model year, engine ?
08' Tahoe 5.3l , sorry about that...lol
Old November 24th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

the sensors are plug and play.

was this vehicle in a crash that deployed the air bags? sdm modules must be replaced after deployment.

did you have codes for both sides with the old sensors? If just one side...plug both old ones back in. clear the codes and see which code resets. Swap the oem sensors to the other side, clear the codes and see if the codes follow the sensor. If they do the new sensors are nfg… you have confirmed the wiring and sdm module are ok. replace the one bad sensor with factory sensors.
Old November 25th, 2018, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the sensors are plug and play.

was this vehicle in a crash that deployed the air bags? sdm modules must be replaced after deployment.

did you have codes for both sides with the old sensors? If just one side...plug both old ones back in. clear the codes and see which code resets. Swap the oem sensors to the other side, clear the codes and see if the codes follow the sensor. If they do the new sensors are nfg… you have confirmed the wiring and sdm module are ok. replace the one bad sensor with factory sensors.
The truck was never in an accident, bags have never been deployed. the fault light just came on one day and it said impact sensors was faulty. i watched a video on youtube where this guy said if you run your finger across the face (side facing vehicle front) and you feel a big crease then the sensor is bad due to it freezing up and forcing it to crack and what not. well i did the touching the face test and one of my sensors had a big time crease in it and the other not so much, well i figured i just change booth sensors to be peace at mind, and thats when i tried to clear the code and it came back with something along the lines of new components improperly installed. then i tried to clear and reread the codes and that when it kicked out a B00083 and B00084, dont remember if thats the exact code but i do know it began with a "B" and ended with "83 and 84" cant recall how many zeros in the middle but it means "left and right" sensor bad.
is there a way to test the old sensors with a multimeter like checking for a "open" to see if its bad or not this way i can narrow down if both old sensors were bad or just that one with the crease down the middle?
Old November 25th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

to my knowledge there is no test for the sensor itself. If you have one old sensor that works do what I said
Old November 26th, 2018, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

i sure will give it a go, thanks for the tip, Tech2
Old November 26th, 2018, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

btw where is the SDM module located at?
Old November 26th, 2018, 9:54 PM
Super Moderator

i'd have to look it up...usually they are centered in the vehicle ie under the driver seat or center console.
Old November 26th, 2018, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

yeah i will look it up, but i am pretty sure i have never touched that thing....lol
and like i said vehicle never been in an accident where the bags had to deploy. but as soon as this weather clears up and i can make it to the auto hobby shop i will do the what you suggested to see if we can narrow this issue down to a fix. thanks again!