Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Truck wont go into gear

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2013, 1:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck wont go into gear

The truck starts perfectly, so we excluded the fuel pressure. We tried to put it in gear, and problem persist. I cannot put it in reverse.
I probably could, but thats gonna take alot of strength.

But still to put it in gear, is hell!!! For a second, i started to think it was a line/cable. Had a guy from a Tranny shop come over. He said the "Parking Bar".
Question, wtf is that. Google has nothing on what you call a parking bar. And is it a DIY thing?
Anyone wanna fill me in?
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Parking bar is a lever in the transmission that locks in a gear and keeps the trans from spinning and the car from rolling. Once you are able to put it in gear does it drive normal or does it not go into gear at all? You can climb underneat the truck and disconnect the linkage pretty east with one nut and try changing gears on the transmission it self that will let you know if the linkage is kinked or messed up.
Old July 14th, 2013, 8:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry, been real tied up lately. My cousin took it to some transmission shop and they replaced it for $225. but he also paid another ~150 to get the truck towed. You asked if the truck would move, It could, but it felt like u were trying to move iwith the parking brakes ON! And thats if you can get it in gear. My only thing is this though. He is the first that i know of to have this problem. I searched all through here to see what the heck it was, and no one responded. Sounds scarry.! i dont wanna be that person. Imagine being out of town, and parking bar goes out on you. Anywho, i just wanted to know if its something thats exposed. What could have made his go out.? And is there a preventative maintenance for that crap! :-) thanx.
Old July 14th, 2013, 8:29 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Did the tranny shop indicate why it broke? Only thing I can think of is someone slamming it into Park while still moving. Never heard of one breaking before tho.
Old July 15th, 2013, 5:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Romeo5k
Anyone wanna fill me in?

These trucks are heavy as hell. Repeatedly parking on a grade without the e-brake could cause damage I suppose, but this is the first I've heard of one breaking. I always use the e-brake to avoid wrenching it out of park.
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by RichC10
These trucks are heavy as hell. Repeatedly parking on a grade without the e-brake could cause damage I suppose, but this is the first I've heard of one breaking. I always use the e-brake to avoid wrenching it out of park.
Oh really? Hmmm, Thats a first ive heard that. And no im not being sarcastic, im being serious! So Bassically u saying, everytime i park on a slope emergency brakes must go on.! Okay, ill keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by 73shark
Did the tranny shop indicate why it broke? Only thing I can think of is someone slamming it into Park while still moving. Never heard of one breaking before tho.
Thats the problem, the tranny shop said its just a wear and tear thing. And in my eyes thats impossible IF no one else on here had that issue. We alll have the same trucks almost. (refering to all 2007-2013)
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 suburban

Hey i have a 2001 suburban since i had the truck ive been hearing a lil ticking noise coming from the gear lever then it stopped going into reverse but every other gear worked i know it's not the trans can anybody help now. Its like the gear shaft isnt catching anything
Old November 16th, 2016, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Romeo5k
Oh really? Hmmm, Thats a first ive heard that. And no im not being sarcastic, im being serious! So Bassically u saying, everytime i park on a slope emergency brakes must go on.! Okay, ill keep that in mind.

Thats the problem, the tranny shop said its just a wear and tear thing. And in my eyes thats impossible IF no one else on here had that issue. We alll have the same trucks almost. (refering to all 2007-2013)
They scammed you

Car goes into gear but feels very sluggish like the brakes are dragging, but it will roll easily (starts out in 4th gear), you manually shift to 2 to get it moving, once it's moving you put it back in OD and the car shifts 3rd to 4th on its own and locks the converter at the appropriate time: ShiftB solenoid failed: A wiring problem from PCM to transmission or PCM.
Old February 20th, 2022, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tjuggs21
Parking bar is a lever in the transmission that locks in a gear and keeps the trans from spinning and the car from rolling. Once you are able to put it in gear does it drive normal or does it not go into gear at all? You can climb underneat the truck and disconnect the linkage pretty east with one nut and try changing gears on the transmission it self that will let you know if the linkage is kinked or messed up.
. Hello I just recently had the same problem with my suburban it's a 2009 and I went to the store got off went inside got what I needed went back into the truck started it with no problem then I put it in drive and it don't move know where when I pressed the gas put it in reverse and nothing put it in park and then tried to go to 2 or 1 and the shifter got stuck really really hard to shift back up but still nothing
The following users liked this post:
Madilynnmatias1128 (March 9th, 2024)