Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Truck won't start 99' Suburban

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2015, 11:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start 99' Suburban

I just replaced the lower intake gasket on my truck. Now it won't start. I tried resetting the passlock with the 30 min reset. No help. I'm not even sure it was tripped. The security light comes on after switching on but goes off quickly after. I tried starter fluid in the intake. The first time it fired very briefly. When I tried again I got nothing at all. I did replace the distributor cap while replacing the lower intake gasket. I plugged in the obdII in and the CC, Fuel system, came back clean but the rest did not run. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Old April 5th, 2015, 9:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Moaky84
I plugged in the obdII in and the CC, Fuel system, came back clean but the rest did not run.

the CC means what?

check all electrical connectors are plugged in. Are you sure you indexed the distributor correctly.
Old April 5th, 2015, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

CC= comprehensive component system, fuel system, misfire monitor came. Back clean on the obd scan. When I took out the distributor I marked the top to the base and put it back in the same place. I didn't mark the bad though but it did seat all the way down. I was told that you one it's in right if it sits al the way down. Would that stop it from starting? If so how would you fix it?
Old April 5th, 2015, 4:00 PM
Super Moderator

CC= inspection maintenance monitors or comprehensive component monitors. if you can't start the engine they won't run let alone pass or fail.

its good that you marked the base but what about the rotor? Did the motor get turned over before the dist went back in. whenever I remove a distributor, I put the engine at tdc first. You may have put the engine at tdc and set the rotor to the number 1 cylinder.

"I didn't mark the bad" means what?
Old April 5th, 2015, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

Bad was meant to be base. So I should try and set the distributor in properly. How do I go about that? How do I set it to cylinder one? What I'm picking up is set it to dtc and then set the cap to fire at cylinder one with the cap touching one. What is dtc?
Old April 8th, 2015, 7:45 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

TDC is Top Dead Center, its where number one cylinder is at its max compression and about to fire, so yes you will set the distributor so that its also firing on #1
I really like Eric the car guy's videos

Old April 8th, 2015, 7:04 PM
Super Moderator

He is great...Scotty Kilmer's kinda entertaining too.
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

So I figured out TDC and now I can get it running at 1000 rpm's but if I go lower it cuts off. I just picked up a timing light so I can adjust it. I can't find the timing advance for this truck anywhere. The truck says it's all automatic. I've read that I need to disconnect a wire behind the glove box. The only one that makes since is a single red wire from what people describe. I'm going to give it a shot. Any tips for timing? How about the advance for the 99' 5.7 vortec. Thanks for the help so far.
Old April 10th, 2015, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

So they put a automatic cam retard on the 5.7 vortec that can only be adjusted with a scanner. They took away the wire that you could disconnect to adjust the distributor. It took me a long time to find this info so I wanted to make sure it was out there one more place. Thanks again for the help.