Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Uncomfortable Seating Position - over 6ft?

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2007, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uncomfortable Seating Position - over 6ft?

Folks, I hope you can help. Had an 03 Avalanche for 95k miles, and it was the best and most comfortable car I ever had.
Now, I got myself an 07 Tahoe 4 weeks ago, and did about 1,000 miles. Great car, all in all, if only I could get comfortable in the seat!! I am going crazy, quite literally. When I test drove I noticed the 8-way seats, and thought I just need to play around with them enough, I will be fine. But I am not.

I am 6'-2", not SO big that I shouldn;t fit in the Tahoe??? I feel the steering wheel is too far off center, that the steering wheelis too low, the seat doesn't go back far enough, the pedals don't go in far enought, and that the seat is also too stiff in the shoulder area. You can't move the steering wheel in/out, only up/down and not without changing the angel as well (which makes it feel like I am driving an 18-wheeler, you get the idea). I feel like I have to constantly bend my spine to sit in the thing.

Went to the dealer today, of course, they never heard of such thing (who was I kidding?). My hope was that I could change a couple of screws and move the seat back, or the pedals further in (yes, they are power and I did move them in all the way). Heck, I really can;t drive it, have never been so uncomfortable in any car...

Suggestions?
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:09 PM
tj
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Uncomfortable Seating Position - over 6ft?

Yep! The pedals don't go forward enough. And I'm 5'10".[]
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
CF Junior Member

I am 6'5 and actually need to put the seat forward a little. Granted, I can't get it as dialed-in as my beloved BMW, but the seats are pretty comfy. I agree that the previous gen seats were better. My 2000 Tahoe was ultra-comfy.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

adjmcloon:
I find it hard to believe that you can fit your knees under the steering wheel. You have it all the way up I suppose?
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6' 2" fit just right for me, but no room to spare. You must have longer legs. Sorry, I dont have any suggestions to fix your problem.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:56 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: tj

Yep! The pedals don't go forward enough. And I'm 5'10".[]
Thought the exact same thing first time I adjusted them!
Old January 25th, 2007, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'4 280 lbs. and am not entirely pleased with the seats either in my '07 Tahoe. I have mine pushed all the way back and angled to be comfy but it is far from perfect. In my Audi A4 I had plenty more leg room and found it to be far more comfortable but I'm chalking it up to familiarity. Hopefully my body will get used to the new seats!

My old Tahoe, a 2000 Z-71, did not have the center console that extended up to the dash and I found that more comfortable cause I could stretch my knee out in that direction without it rubbing all over the side of the console. Only way to get that in the new ones is to get the bench seat in the LS. Oh well.

Old January 25th, 2007, 1:45 AM
DEI
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe in a vehicle this size, I was brushing my head on the roof of the one we test drove that had a sunroof. Thats the main reason we bought one without the sunroof. Even on the '07, the seat doesn't seem to go as low as the one in theold '03.
Old January 25th, 2007, 2:39 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the dealer contact GM Tech assist and have them ask for a fix for a vertically challenged customer.
Last I heard we did have a kit available for the mod but I haven't actually held it in my hands. If this doesn’t work then contact GM customer assistance directly and ask for help, the truck had a designed target of fitting 99.7% of the adult population in the U.S during its development, not that helps you but GM tried hard to make it work right for as many people as possible. One big obstacle was the new stricter safety standards and keeping the driver in the proper place during an airbag deployment.
Old January 26th, 2007, 5:39 PM
CF Junior Member

You guys must have your seats set very high. I lower mine all the way, and I have the power seat/pedals so I can get it dialed in pretty closely. My steering wheel is tilted down some.

If your head is hitting the headliner, you must have a 6' tall torso. My head doesn't even come close.

Quick Reply: Uncomfortable Seating Position - over 6ft?