Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 7th, 2015, 7:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Univeral Home Link help??

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Univeral Home Link help??

Thank you for your interest in the Universal Home Remote product. Additional help is available to assist you with any programming issues or questions.

If your product has 3 LED lights, please refer to www.learCar2U.com or call 1-866-57Car2U for additional support.

Sincerely,

The Lear Car2U Team
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Univeral Home Link help??

Thank you for your interest in the Universal Home Remote product. Additional help is available to assist you with any programming issues or questions.

If your product has 3 LED lights, please refer to www.learCar2U.com or call 1-866-57Car2U for additional support.

Sincerely,

The Lear Car2U Team
Old May 16th, 2007, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default GM Should Provide the Modules

I have the same problem with my 2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab.

However, I think that GM should pay for these conversion boxes. They advertise the vehicles as having a "universal" home remote transmitter. Yet, the ones they are using now (the Lear ones, not the Homelink they previously used) only work out of the box with rolling code receivers made by 4 manufacturers (Sears, Genie, Wayne-Dalton and Chamberlain). That's hardly universal!

Call the Customer Assistance number and complain.
Old May 16th, 2007, 5:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: GM Should Provide the Modules

I totally agree...GM probably saved a few pennies and now has angry customers (like me)...I am using the transmitters that came with the garage doors, which bugs me each time I go to press it...on principle, I will not hand over more money for the conversion piece. I complained months ago, and got the usual "well, it's the only way to make it work - take it or leave it"...

I'm a loyal GM guy, but these are the little things that **** people off and drive them away from the domestics...it all adds up.
Old July 15th, 2007, 5:11 PM
e
CF Senior Member

Default RE: GM Should Provide the Modules

would anyone be interested in swapping their unit with a blank overhead console? Of course trade and money are not out of the question.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Regarding Universal Home Link help, here is something that may help which resolved my problem after some frustrating hours. Have 07 Tahoe with 3 LED Universal Home Link. Garage door opener is older Craftsman with dip switches. Tried numerous times to program according to the owners manual and using the recorded switch settings from the hand held remote. After almost giving up I took a guess and used the switch settings from the actual garage door opener and not the hand held transmitter. Went through the same directions again and it worked perfectly. No information on the Lear web site about this. Even tried the procedure listed in the book to use my hand held for programming but no luck. Again, used the switch settings from the opener itself and it programmed the door.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:28 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yea

i had to buy a $25 or whatever reciever to get mine to work w/my wayne dalton...

works great... didnt want to spend the $, but glad i did.
Old April 13th, 2010, 8:56 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by drgreci
Regarding Universal Home Link help, here is something that may help which resolved my problem after some frustrating hours. Have 07 Tahoe with 3 LED Universal Home Link. Garage door opener is older Craftsman with dip switches. Tried numerous times to program according to the owners manual and using the recorded switch settings from the hand held remote. After almost giving up I took a guess and used the switch settings from the actual garage door opener and not the hand held transmitter. Went through the same directions again and it worked perfectly. No information on the Lear web site about this. Even tried the procedure listed in the book to use my hand held for programming but no luck. Again, used the switch settings from the opener itself and it programmed the door.
I've got a 24 year old Craftsman and the DIP switches in the remote and the receiver have to be the same. Are you saying that your remote still works w/ different settings?
Old April 28th, 2010, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Reply to 73shark

I agree with you that the DIP switches for the remote and the receiver need to be same for basic opener operation. For my Craftsman, the opener has nine physical switches labeled 1-9 while the remote has eight physical switches labeled 2-9. The DIP settings are matched between the opener and remote with the exeption of switch #1 which is on the opener but not the remote. Garage door works as expected with the remote. Following the instructions which is to specifically use the switch settings from the remote, I tried it numerous times with no success. On the Lear website, you can check the compatability of your model which I did and it said it should work with their system. It also stated that a 9th setting needs to be added if the remote only has eight actual switches. I tried that and still no luck. I was ready to call Lear to order the converter box thinking that was my only option but figured I had nothing to lose with trying the switch settings from the opener. Once I programmed the actual opener settings into the Home Link, it finally worked. As a matter of fact, the range for opening my garage door now with the Home Link is even better than my hand held remote as someone else in a previous thread had mentioned. Bottom line is it was a last ditch effort prior to shelling out the money but it worked.
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default Universal Remote Solved

I have had the same problem as most with my new 2010 Suburban. The unit was advertised to me as a Homelink when in fact it was a Car2u unit. Unfortunately I would not call it a universal remote as it can not learn anything. I was very frustrated, but my brother-in-law bought a 2010 Buick Enclave (also GM) and he was able to program for gated communities. His looked exactly the same as mine, I was not happy.

I did some research and found gmpartsdirect.com which had the parts for the Homelink and schematics. It looked exactly the same as mine, so I went over and took apart the overhead console and found that the unit is almost identical. The overall shape is the same, the buttons has the same size and spacing, the 3 pin plug is the same, and the screw holes are aligned exactly. Chevy probably had Car2u match the specs so that they could easily swap the units, with minimal engineering. They only difference was that the Car2u has three round white LEDs and the Homelink has a single square LED.

I had to make one small modification. I had to trim the red clear square plastic piece that diffuses the LED light. I basically sheered off the part that protruded with a razor blade. It looks completely stock, but you will only have one LED to show you status instead of three. I guess I could have got creative and modified it to get all tree to work, but I did not want to spend the effort on it.

The part numbers you need are:
Part Number 10311606: Transmitter
Part Number 10311607: Buttons

They are around $225 with shipping.

My car was less than two weeks old, so I made a big deal out of it with the dealer, and held the Customer Survey over their head, knowing that is how they get money back from GM. I ordered the parts online and they cut me a check.

From a warrantee perspective I do not know how this will affect you, so check before you buy and see if you can live with it.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Univeral Home Link help??