Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Very unusual weird ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2013, 8:15 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Maybe the oil is thinning down enuf when it warms up that it allows a lifter to bleed down a little.
The following users liked this post:
TARFU (December 27th, 2020)
Old March 28th, 2016, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peixinho
well i was hoping to get a little more feedback before I tear into the motor...

I just went on a long road trip with the car and i wanted to add a little more info

The motor does not tick upon start up (even on the coldest mornings and sitting for days)

But after it warms up and only at freeway speeds it will start ticking after about 5 min of being on the freeway. The ticking will last for about 10 min and then go away. We drove for 5 hours straight with no ticking. Got to our hotel and did not drive for a few days. Left to come home and did the same thing on the way home except when we stopped for food, drinks, and gas and got back on the freeway after about 5 min it starting ticking and then went away for the rest of the drive home.

I have stopped the car at idle after it happened and because of the speed and location of the tick have determined it is coming from the top end. It is not an exhaust leak, and i have checked all the push rods and rocker arms.

Does anything turn on/off of open/close in the motor after driving for a few minutes at high speeds (i know that might sound like a stupid questions but I am trying to figure out why it only does it once after getting on the freeway for about 10 min)???
Try having vehicle on level ground and stand in front of vehicle and push the vehicle back and forth if sound starts check the starter. My truck did this before and it took me 6 months to figure it was the starter barely tapping the flywheel.

Last edited by computersbeyond; March 28th, 2016 at 3:30 PM.
Old August 24th, 2016, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had someone message me about what I found...

I ended up selling that truck without fixing it. The new owner was not worried about it.

Since then I have owned a couple of 6.0 and 5.3 trucks that did the same thing. I even have a few friends with the same problem.

Ended up being a bad oring on the oil pickup tube. I guess it will suck air under certain conditions. The noise is the sound of air getting into the oil system and causing issuse with the lifters. I have already confirmed this on 3 different trucks. Change the oring on the oil pickup tube and the noise goes away.

Good luck. I hope that helps someone.
Lilb5108 (October 1st, 2021)
Old November 3rd, 2019, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

well i was hoping to get a little more feedback before I tear into the motor...

I just went on a long road trip with the car and i wanted to add a little more info

The motor does not tick upon start up (even on the coldest mornings and sitting for days)

But after it warms up and only at freeway speeds it will start ticking after about 5 min of being on the freeway. The ticking will last for about 10 min and then go away. We drove for 5 hours straight with no ticking. Got to our hotel and did not drive for a few days. Left to come home and did the same thing on the way home except when we stopped for food, drinks, and gas and got back on the freeway after about 5 min it starting ticking and then went away for the rest of the drive home.

I have stopped the car at idle after it happened and because of the speed and location of the tick have determined it is coming from the top end. It is not an exhaust leak, and i have checked all the push rods and rocker arms.

Does anything turn on/off of open/close in the motor after driving for a few minutes at high speeds (i know that might sound like a stupid questions but I am trying to figure out why it only does it once after getting on the freeway for about 10 min)???
Starter silanoid, maybe?
Old November 4th, 2019, 1:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

??
You are about six years late. The original poster already came back and said he found the cause of the problem and that he sold the truck. Make sure you check the dates of stale topics, and read ALL the way to the end.

It's "solenoid", and I've never heard of starters causing ticking noises while the engine is running.
Old December 15th, 2020, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

My Tahoe made a ticking noise that ended up being a pitted lobe in the cam shaft. It was right after the warranty expired but they pro rated the price and I paid the dealership 1100 to fix it.
Old February 12th, 2021, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ticking like a clock ticking?

Mine, while idling makes a
​​​ Ticking like a clock ticking.. Goes for like 3-4 seconds then stops for that long then starts again. It sounds exactly like a clock ticking.... What could it actually be?

anyone else???
Old March 24th, 2021, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ticking noise

Change your O ring it's connected to a tube that goes to the oil pump and you will be good...
Old October 1st, 2021, 2:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

I had someone message me about what I found...

I ended up selling that truck without fixing it. The new owner was not worried about it.

Since then I have owned a couple of 6.0 and 5.3 trucks that did the same thing. I even have a few friends with the same problem.

Ended up being a bad oring on the oil pickup tube. I guess it will suck air under certain conditions. The noise is the sound of air getting into the oil system and causing issuse with the lifters. I have already confirmed this on 3 different trucks. Change the oring on the oil pickup tube and the noise goes away.

Good luck. I hope that helps someone.
I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with 5.3 an mine just started doing this when I pull over an let it sit for about 20 minutes then I can drive it for about another 15-20 miles on the highway then it would start tapping again I'll have to check this o-ring out thanks for the info

Last edited by Lilb5108; October 1st, 2021 at 2:25 AM.
Sean Mosley (May 26th, 2022)
Old October 9th, 2021, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

My 92 5.3 liter developed a ticking noise and about 200 miles later it slung a rod thru the block. Never bothered trying to figure out what it was, I just put a new Goodwrench 350 in.