Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

vibration when coming to a complete stop

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2020, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool vibration when coming to a complete stop

2009 Suburban LTZ with ~140k, i have a vibration / shudder only when i'm almost at a complete stop, new brakes, rotors and tires but it also doesn't matter if my foot is on the brakes or not, if i let it roll to a stop it still vibrates / shudders right before it stops and only lasts about 2-3 secs, i have looked up the symptoms of a torque converter and its not matching up however i'm not ruling it out, have anyone had this issue and or any ideas where to start looking? no codes or any electronic notification of an issue, runs good, idles good, accelerates good, shifts good, no issues other than the vibration. any help is appreciated.
Old November 16th, 2020, 7:02 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Trans. been serviced regularly ? Has a full code scan of trans. been done to see if any have been stored ? Code scans of all 4 code families not just P codes are step one.
Old November 16th, 2020, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by repairman54
Trans. been serviced regularly ? Has a full code scan of trans. been done to see if any have been stored ? Code scans of all 4 code families not just P codes are step one.
Ok i will start with the scanning of all 4 code families, also the trans was last serviced at 80k. would you recommend a trans flush first?
Old November 16th, 2020, 1:57 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

My vote is also a torque converter problem. I recommend a trans service but not a flush. 60K miles is too much time between services. At most I do my trans services at 30k because none of us drive in "normal" driving. Look up the difference in your owner's manual.
Old November 16th, 2020, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by PNW NBS Z71
My vote is also a torque converter problem. I recommend a trans service but not a flush. 60K miles is too much time between services. At most I do my trans services at 30k because none of us drive in "normal" driving. Look up the difference in your owner's manual.

Thanks. by the way is that the kitty hawk? i was there 99-04 VFA-195
Old November 16th, 2020, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

whats the difference between a service and a flush? and is this something i can do myself?
Old November 17th, 2020, 9:33 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

That is the USS Kitty Hawk CV-63 in my pic. I was ship's company from February 1972 to December of 1975. We walked some of the same places for sure.

A trans service is dropping the pan, changing the filter and installing fresh fluid to top back off. A flush should also have the filter changed but when the flush is done you use a machine that will attach inline with the trans cooling lines. Here is what you should know about the difference:

Flushing your transmission fluid, rather than changing it, is only recommended if the transmission fluid is in relatively good shape and has no signs of damage. If you do a flush when there is damaged transmission material in the transmission fluid, you could cause a problem in the valve body at the bottom of the transmission. If the valve body gets gunked up with damaged transmission material, you could lose the ability to shift between gears. This is why many people worry that changing transmission fluid can cause a transmission to slip, but if you’re changing your transmission fluid regularly, you won’t have to worry about this problem.
The following users liked this post:
Kris B (November 21st, 2020)