Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Viper Aftermarket Car Starter Help

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2012, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper Aftermarket Car Starter Help

Hello everyone. Hopeing someone can help me here. I recently purchased a 2006 suburban. I took the alarm/start system i had in my old vehicle and decided to install it myself this time. Obviously there is a bypass module that uses the vehicles communication line to do most of the stuff. lock and unlock doors, bypass the security system and the car start. i did run a wire from the interior lights to monitor them for when the doors are opened for the alarm portion. My problem is when i use the car start function the system turns on the interior lights for a brief time when the key is turned on before it starts the truck. Unfortunatley when it turns the lights on it sets my alarm off. is there a way to shut this off? I cant tell if its something that is part of the factory vehicle setting in the bcm or if its something the alarm is doing.

the alarm is a clifford 50.5x mile range. I can look at the bypass module to find out exactly what one that is if you need it. Please help this is quite annoying.
Old January 19th, 2012, 9:08 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried contacting the alarm manufacturer?
Old January 20th, 2012, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

Not the manufacturer just the company that did the initial install in the last vehicle. and they wanted to charge my to diag it. I just don't have the money to now.
Old January 20th, 2012, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

There should be a input wire on the bypass module that will disable the alarm without unlocking the doors. Depending on your remote start there may be a wire for alarm disarm. You need to connect these together. If you don't have a "alarm disarm" wire you may be able to use the "status" or "second status" wire.
Old January 21st, 2012, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much. I will try that soon.
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

I just realized I may have made some of my own problems. I only used the wires that were used the last time and ignored the rest of them on the bypass module. I was looking at the wiring diagram and it has a wire for door trigger so I can monitor that wire instead of the actual interior light and it will probably fix my problem. thanks for the help I'm probably just and idiot though.
Old January 21st, 2012, 5:53 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

Hey, don't beat yourself too much. Live and learn plus your experience may help someone down the road.

Let us know how it works out.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Is it the factory alarm that is going off or the aftermarket alarm? If it is the aftermarket alarm then yes switching the to the door trigger should solve it. But if it is a factory alarm you need to hook up those wires. To test it remote start the car to set off the alarm then try using the factory remote to disarm it. But I would still hook up those wires while you are in there. Just a thought from a installer.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Its the aftermarket alarm. as far as I'm aware it doesn't have a factory one. nor do I have the factory key fob. however I have info now. the bypass module is a 457g gm data bus interface. has the following wires in the schematic.
black - chassis ground
red - 12v positive
gray/black - negative input option 1 or 2
Red/white - negative input trunk
Brown/white - negative input panic (optional)
Light green - input arm and lock all doors
blue - input disarm and unlock all doors
violet - output data
blue/white - negative gnd when running
green - negative output door trigger for alarm

I thought if I took the green negative door trigger output from the bypass and hooked it to the green negative door trigger input on my alarm it would take care of my problem. however instead now the alarm doesn't go off at all if the doors are opened. I tried going through the programming process on the bypass just for grins but nothing.

the alarm is a Clifford model 50.5x I can scan and post the schematic for it too or you can just look it up online. I don't know if there is something I can do or if maybe the door trigger option doesn't work on my truck or maybe that portion of the bypass mmodule is bad. but I still need help.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

I forgot I'm going to test that wire tomorrow to see if I'm getting a signal out of it. on the green door trigger wire from the bypass module. just have to wait till tomorrow when I get back to my shop and can get my dvom.

Quick Reply: Viper Aftermarket Car Starter Help