Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Is VSS wire available inside cab of 2004 Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2010, 3:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is VSS wire available inside cab of 2004 Tahoe?

I'm installing a Nav/Radio in my 04 Tahoe. It says to connect a wire to the VSS. I researched many forums and found the VSS (dark green/white) is somewhere up by the PCM behind the front grill (somewhere). I'm a bit of a noob and don't want to mess with running a wire through the firewall and tapping into what I'd guess is a waterproof unit. What I'd like to do is find this VSS wire inside the cabin somewhere and tap it there.

Can anyone post an image (best) or description of where I might be able to find it in the cab of my 2004 Tahoe??? I don't think it's available on the radio harness in the 2004, but I'm not sure.

I have non-Bose, no Onstar. I purchased this from the Feds at auction (used Park Police truck) and they backfitted it close to factory except with some cheap/half-broken OEM radio when they stripped all the police stuff out.

Any help would be appreciated.

(FYI - I tried searching for "VSS" in this forum but the forum does not allow searches on words as short as three letters.)

Last edited by dbrucas; April 23rd, 2010 at 3:17 AM. Reason: Added additional info at bottom ("FYI..."
Old April 23rd, 2010, 8:40 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Try VSS wire.
Old April 24th, 2010, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Question

Ok, so I searched for VSS WIRE on the forum search, and it ignored VSS and returned 3000+ hits for WIRE > therefore the forum settings are set to ignore less than 4 letters. However, I then tried putting quotes around it > "vss wire" and got a more reasonable return of 45 hits in the "Tahoe and Suburban" forum, and another 20 more when I search across all forums. Read every single one, top to bottom. Every time I found a reference to the VSS wire, it was in context of where to find it in 2007 or later models which have a VCIM, or which are wired differently than my 2004.

So, I'm still looking for where to tap into the VSS in a 2004 Tahoe. I did get a lot of info from the searches and crawled under the dash to try to find it. Some of the replies referred to "it's under the black box on the floor to the left of the brake" but I don't have a black box. What I have is a block with no cover (See photo "A"). It has a brown connector that has a green white wire in the upper left corner.
I also flipped it over (per the posts) and found that the back has THREE green/white wires (see photo "B").

I'm really stuck figuring this out. I don't know which of these four green/white wires is the VSS. I don't even know if I'm on the correct junction block.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Is VSS wire available inside cab of 2004 Tahoe?-small-.jpg
Is VSS wire available inside cab of 2004 Tahoe?-b-small-.jpg

Last edited by dbrucas; April 24th, 2010 at 7:56 PM. Reason: moved attachments
Old April 25th, 2010, 12:18 AM
CF Active Member

behind the instrument cluster
Old April 25th, 2010, 5:28 AM
CF Beginner

try searching nav... or looking outside t/s since pickups are the same.

google works better than forum searches, btw.