Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

War on Terror... Means I'm not home. Wife is driving my burb... TROUBLE

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2008, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default War on Terror... Means I'm not home. Wife is driving my burb... TROUBLE

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum. I have been an avid Honda enthusiast for many years, however the addition of my daughter to the family has expanded us to three kids total. Thus the reason for us having a Suburban. It is an '04 Suburban LS 2WD in white. This thing has driven us all over the coast, towed our trailer full of quads, done donuts in the snow for the kids enjoyment etc...

Moving on, I am prior military... I took a job as a ********** serving in *************** which left my Suburban in the once thought capable hands of my wife. She daily drives a 5speed 4Runner 4wd, but on occasion had chosen to take the Suburban. Not one week after I left, she was on the highway traveling 60 MPH and threw it in reverse. The ensuing chaos was described to me by my ever so calm wife who always takes things in stride (she's amazing)... the burb made grinding noises, the engine cut out, and wouldn't start for 5 minutes. Then it started right back up and she drove off.

It is now six months later. She has driven this thing to San Diego and back, all over SoCal and even towed our trailer again with it. The only damage has been described to me as the tranny doesn't know what gear it wants (it constantly down shifts at constant speed) and the speedo bounces all over the place. Here is the reason I signed up for this forum. I will be home in a week for christmas vacation. What am I looking at to get this thing fixed? I can assume the tranny is out of my capable hands as a write off, but how can I fix the speedo? is there a speed sensor on the transmission casing that could have been damaged? Is it easy to just swap out the cluster for another one? Thoughts please!! Suggestions? Anything will help...

BTW, I am a conservative right-wing kind of guy, but am open to hearing others opinions and suggestions unlike many. There are bad people out there that want to kill you, me, your family and mine. Support your troops.

CLIFF NOTES:
Wife is driving Suburban. Throws in reverse at 60 mph. Tranny likes to shift alot more than usual even at constant speed.
Speedo bounces around alot. OP wants solutions to the problem. Thanks!!
Old December 11th, 2008, 6:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: War on Terror... Means I'm not home. Wife is driving my burb... TROUBLE

Take it to the tranny shop the first day you get home, hopefully they can fix it within the week that you are home. There is probably some serious damage\metal filings in the tranny