Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Water inside dash...

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2010, 7:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water inside dash...

I have a 2000 Hoe limited (5.7L old body style)... I figure its the heater core leaking into the blower area so my questions is: How big of a pain in the butt is replacing it? Any tips or tricks to save time and headaches?

Thanks
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Professional Mechanic

There's water seeping into the dash? Or the sound of water in the dash when you accelerate?

If there's water in the dash and you see it, then you're right, the heater core could be leaking. Do you notice a leak only when the heat is on or at all times?

It's not really hard if you take your time to change it out. Some swear not to ever change it themselves though.

I've never done it to a hoe but the heater core should be behind the glove box, there are some hidden screws that you'll need to take off, so don't pry open the box cause it could crack.

Some basic tips are, draining the water, of course, remove the top of the dash - it might help you get to the box and get to hidden screws (does in most cars). Also, put some plastic down on the mats so you don't get everything all wet. If your hoe has a panel on the underside of the dash then remove it so you can see more. Oh, and be sure to disconnect any hoses underneath the hood that go to the heater core so it could pop out smoothly. Be careful when putting the core back in, it could be an equal sized pain too. Be patient with everything and make sure you have enough time to complete the task.

hope that helps, if you need more details, let us know!
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:58 PM
CF Junior Member

When I stop or take off I can hear water slushing around under the dash on the pass side. When I turn the hoe off I can hear what sounds like the old perqulating coffe makers...which is why I think its the heater core. The mat look sdry but going to have to check it again. I did notice I am loosing coolant.

I have replaced the heater core in my 91 stang and that required the dash to be dropped...9 hours later with my hands cut up, back sore, and patiences tested I finished. I dont mind doing the work just dont want to get into another 9 hour ordeal.
Old March 11th, 2010, 1:31 PM
Professional Mechanic

Oh okay, I see...you know, from how you explained it you might have air in your cooling system. This happened to a Toyota Supra I worked on. The owner thought it was the heater core but I opened it up and noticed it was fine. They had the same symptoms you had, water slush sound and coolant level dropped.

You'll just have to visually inspect the core to determine if its bad. If it's good, let me know and I'll tell you how to burp the hoe.
Old March 11th, 2010, 1:36 PM
CF Junior Member

thanks, if I get home before it gets dark tonight I will take a look. I coach 3 girls soccer teams so I have practice or games 7 days a week... makes it a pain to work on the hoe not gettinghome till 8pm.
Old March 11th, 2010, 1:40 PM
Professional Mechanic

Damn you're busy! Well good luck on the repair, keep us updated!
Old March 11th, 2010, 2:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks, I will...but like my other thread "Cold start issue" it might take a while but as I work on her I will post...that issue has been going on for 6 months!