Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

What do you think of this wheel / tire combo

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2015, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SWHouston
But I'm still a little uncertain as what your objective is...
Do you just want the OTR Tires on new rims, or...
Are you going to make a street AND off the road sets.
Thanks *A LOT* (again), SWHouston.

Basically, what I want is to have 2 sets of wheels/tires -- both same size. One of them will be the "I don't care *much* what happens to them." This set will consist of my old OEM wheels tires, re-polished and repainted, with the OEM Bridgestone tires.

The other set, the one I'm about to purchase, will be the "nice" one. My so called 1st world dilemma is whether I should buy a new set of OEM wheels/tires or the Centerline wheels/BFG tires for this second set. Given that there's only a very small price difference between the two sets, which is a better wheel, and which is a better tire? I'd say 80% of my driving is on pavement, 20% on dirt roads, no snow.

Thanks again for reading.
Old November 20th, 2015, 9:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the quality difference in the two Rims, is slight. I'd put the set of BFG tires on your older set of Rims, leaving the new Rims/Bridgestone set for your major driving. This would give you the "not so good" rims, for OTR or whatever, saving your good set for normal use.

This is assuming that the Bridgestone's are good/new enough to take that position. If marginal, then use them a while, and get a new set of Street/HiWay at a later date. If you do it like you said, that would force you to be driving mostly on the OTR set most of the time, leaving the spare set somewhat redundant. The OTR's you've mentioned, though a good quality tire, do have some shortcomings for normal street use.

Last edited by SWHouston; November 20th, 2015 at 9:36 AM.
Old December 1st, 2015, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because Chevrolet put a certain size tire and wheel on a car does not mean that it is the best or optimal size for traction, economy, etc. . . It means that it is the best in terms of economy/safety versus sales for Chevrolet. Car manufacturers have been proven time after time to be purely profit motivated at the expense of the consumer. The Pinto gas tanks come to mind.

What kind of tires are race cars running for wet conditions? What tires are rally cars running in snow, etc. . . .? If you want performance, look at what professionals are running, not what came on the car.

If Chevrolet could run a smaller tire and save money and still sell the same number of cars, they would.