Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

What oil?

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil?

So, I take my '05 Yukon XL 2500 in for an oil change. I have no problem changing my own, but with my work discount, I can't save anything by doing the work.
Well, they recommend that I change oil in both differentials as well as the transfer case. No worries, except their prices for the diffs was about $120 for the pair. I have a gear lube pump, and access to a vehicle lift so I don't even have to lay on the ground! I can buy my own synthetic lube, drink a sixer, and save about half of the dough.
The concern is, what oil for the t-case? They told me it was GM specific. I'm wondering if there's a legitimate substitute. If not, so be it.

The rig is a 6.0L, 4 speed auto, with which ever t-case has the buttons by the headlight switch with the 4-wheel-auto as well as the regular 2 hi, 4 hi, and 4 lo options.

I'm looking for an answer on required fluid type and quantity for a t-case oil change. Also, if you throw in the capacities for the front and rear ends, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I know how to tell if it's full, just wondering how much to buy!

Thanks!
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:56 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rtm

the manual will tell you what fluids and what types as well as the change interval.
Old September 12th, 2011, 8:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
the manual will tell you what fluids and what types as well as the change interval.

Yes, and no.

It tells me what I already know about the differentials as far as what type of lube. It lists a couple of options for the t-case.

What it DOES NOT tell, is the quantities. It is also hard to determine which t-case I have.

I did the obvious search before I asked.........
Old September 14th, 2011, 8:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Any one? I just picked up 2 gallons of gear oil for the axles. Easy enough. If there's left overs, it'll get used on something.

Still looking for informative input on the transfer case........ What oil and how much does it take??? Is it the Stabilitrac? Or ?????

Thanks!