Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Will My Beloved '07 LTZ Make 200k Miles?

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2013, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will My Beloved '07 LTZ Make 200k Miles?

I bought my 2007 Suburban LTZ 2 years ago for towing our new Airstream. I really love our "Sherman" (tank). It's a fantastic ride and a great tow vehicle. I bought it with 70,000 miles and it now has 103,000. Problems are starting to come up. Of course, some maintenance is expected. Stuff doesn't last forever. What worries me is that everything on this car is really EXPENSIVE to fix. For example, I found out yesterday it would be $301 to replace my four TPMS, and that's with non-OEM sensors.

Anyway, I am now wondering if this is the right car to keep for the next two years. Lots of oldtimers who tow with 'Burbs have stories of them going 250,000 miles and more. But they are talking about Suburbans made way before all the computer controlled features that make this model costly to repair ($500 shocks!). I'm worried it could cost me $10,000 in repairs to get the next 100,000 miles. Anyone have a high mileage 2007?
Old December 1st, 2013, 10:55 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 07 Tahoe LTZ with about 163K on it. I've had a few problems with it. About 8 months after I bought, I was having issues on and off with my stabilitrak, then finally something actually broke and the dealer traced it back to a bad crank sensor. Then about a few years ago, I had to have the adjustable pedal motor stopped working, but it took the dealer almost a week to find the source of the problem (something to do with the memory seat module). I've had to replace the passenger side view mirror b/c the motor would not returned the mirror back to home position after tilting down when I reverse the truck. Just last summer I had to replace the evap vent solenoid. But my main concern is now for the past 2 or so oil changes, I'm getting the engine oil low message, before reaching my 7500 mile typical oil change interval. But I don't have any doubt my Tahoe will last 250k+. Good luck!

Last edited by Typerod; December 1st, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

I’m hoping for good luck in that department, as well.

Mine is a ’97 Suburban K1500 LT that I bought last year, about 16 months ago. It’s really clean, under 66,000 miles on it, and obviously well-taken care of.

Anyways, I’m sure mine is somewhat more old-school/primitive than an ’07, so maybe less to go wrong.

I just retired (STRS disability) and my income is somewhat reduced now, so I’m really hoping it lasts a looong time without major problems. It helps that I’ll likely only be putting around 2,000 miles on it per year. It won’t be garaged, but I’ll keep a good coat of was on her, and being retired I don’t have to drive much and can avoid salty roads as much as possible.

The only issue I had with it is losing brake fluid and had to get some lines replaced, but I’m thinking maybe that had to do with moisture in the break lines or something, ‘cause it’s been garaged and well-taken care of, and there’s no rust anywhere on her.

Last edited by Marko5657; December 1st, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old December 1st, 2013, 4:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just sold my '01 Burb in August with 185k miles. I pulled the maintenance folder for the new owner, and started flipping through my repair bills - $9k over the last 3 1/2 years.

My other Burb is an 08 3/4-ton with 111k on the clock. I don't anticipate anywhere near the same expense.

$300 for the TPMS sensors sounds completely insane to me. Aren't those things like 5 or 10 bucks each? I just put new tires on the 08, and, if I wanted to, the TPMS kit was going to be like $64.
Old December 1st, 2013, 5:17 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

TPMS go for about $150 a set on eBay.

Marko: get BG transmission, transfer case, and differential service and you get an extended warranty for those items.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 1:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two key issues to long mileage/life...

Engine Operating Temperature, and
Using/keeping good fresh Oil/Filter in the Engine.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 9:33 PM
CF Senior Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

F*************************CCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK K!!!

f*ck you microsoft! of course, I was done typing up a great length message and everything crashes!!!!

Errr, sorry, will re-type tomorrow. I have made a list of things gone wrong with our 2007 suburban.

I am glad to hear that you love yours, we hate ours. Compared to the 2002, it is a major downgrade... (owned since Jan 2009, 50K mi, current 138K mi)
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
CF Active Member

I have 99,105 miles on my 07. It has been relativly problem free. It is at the dealership as i type Last year i developed a leak at the rear differential pinion seal. The seal has been replace 3x and the Yoke was replaced last year. Its leaking again. I have a great dealer/service advisor. They are replacing the yoke and seal again at their cost. My trans cooler hoses are leaking, i'm paying for it and the left front air bag sensor is not communicating and needs replacing. I have no intention to get rid of the Burb, 2500
Suburbans are rare and i plan to put in whatever it needs.
Old December 4th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

LTL4life,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern with your Suburban. Please be sure to keep us posted. If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 4th, 2013, 1:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by LTL4life
I have 99,105 miles on my 07. It has been relativly problem free. It is at the dealership as i type Last year i developed a leak at the rear differential pinion seal. The seal has been replace 3x and the Yoke was replaced last year. Its leaking again. I have a great dealer/service advisor. They are replacing the yoke and seal again at their cost. My trans cooler hoses are leaking, i'm paying for it and the left front air bag sensor is not communicating and needs replacing. I have no intention to get rid of the Burb, 2500
Suburbans are rare and i plan to put in whatever it needs.
There are actually 2 front airbag sensors. You can get a new Dorman replacement sensor on eBay for around $50. It's a quick and easy swap as they are located right up front below the radiator. Save yourself the money and fix that yourself.

Quick Reply: Will My Beloved '07 LTZ Make 200k Miles?