Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

wind noise

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind noise

Just took my second lil trip with the 'hoe and again noticed alot of wind noise from the top of the windshield and top and front of drivers door.
Also picking up rattles in the pass r/door and rear gate. Seems a little early for this many rattles, 1700 miles.
Anybody else having prob's with these area's?
I suppose its off to the dealer, yahoo.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:00 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: wind noise

Funny you should mention this, as I am dealing with some of the same rattling issues. I am getting the rear passenger door rattle especially when it's cold out. I have figured out that for me it's the door panel gap right near the lock. I am also getting the rear gate rattle, but this only occurs during turns or shifting of the vehicle from side to side. I have a feeling either the hatch glass is rubbing or possibly even the entire gate itself is rattling. I have 7K miles. We both need some help here...any thoughts?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 8:07 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The wind noise and around the windshield is probably due to an excessively large gap between the door a-pillar and the windshield molding, have the dealer check the gap and reference GM Document ID # 1905692 for repair instructions.

The rattle at the rear lift gate can normally be fixed by simply removing the lower doorlift-gate striker and placing a flat washer underneath it and then replacing the striker.

As far as the rear door rattle, do either of your Tahoe’s have an OEM DVD or Sunroof?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 9:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be one of the lucky ones or everyone else is having really bad luck with their Tahoes. I bought my '07 Tahoe in Sept. '06. I've driven it A LOT -- currently 16,300 miles on it already. My average daily, round-tripcommute is 75 miles per day, plus4-5 long road trips, mostly freeway miles.The only problem I've had was with the rear "hockey stick" window moldings that broke off their clips. A new one was ordered and replaced by the dealer. Those moldings were replaced when it was around 3k miles. Other than that, no squeaks, squeals, wind noise, tranny, engine problems, or nothing -- of course, knock on wood.
Old May 24th, 2007, 8:58 AM
davemec

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

The wind noise and around the windshield is probably due to an excessively large gap between the door a-pillar and the windshield molding, have the dealer check the gap and reference GM Document ID # 1905692 for repair instructions.
I've had this fix done, and it will reduce the amount of wind noise, but it doesn't eliminate it to the point where it sounds as good as the passenger side door, but it is worth a try.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM
CF Active Member

ZX, I have a sunroof but no DVD. Also, this might be a dumb question but what and where is the rear door striker?
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:59 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

davemec,
if the repair is done properly it should pretty much eliminate the wind noise.

jmitchell,
The rattle noise that seams to be coming from the rear pax door may actually be coming from the headliner, if you lower the liner there are two small black foam block pads, one on each side of the dome light, if you remove them the noise usually disappears. The reason I asked if you had a sunroof or DVD is that this noise only occurs on vehicles equipped with these items.

The rear liftgate striker is the metal u-bolt looking thing that the latch grabs hold of when the liftgate is closed to hold it closed, it is located at the bottom center of the liftgate jamb and is surrounded by plastic interior trim, open the liftgate and look down and there it is.

Due to build variance the liftgate is just slightly too high on some Tahoe’s and the latch rubs against the striker, by placing a washer (spacer about 1-2mm thick) underneath it is raised and will now function normally with no noise.
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

ZX: Thanks for the response with the great info. I will take it with on my trip to the dealer and see what happens.
Oh ya, I have both a dvd and sunroof, andI gotta tell yaI could not determine if it was the glass creakin or the lift gate groanin and moanin.
Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
davemec

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

davemec,
if the repair is done properly it should pretty much eliminate the wind noise.
Thanks, maybe I'll ask them to take another look at it, but I doubt they'll do much. It would be kinda hard for me to prove whether or not they did the fix correctly. I do know they had the doors off and replaced the mounting brackets.
Old May 24th, 2007, 3:53 PM
CF Active Member

ZX, I appreciate the expertise. I am going to attempt the fixes myself and if that doesn't work it's off to the dealership.

Quick Reply: wind noise