Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Wiring diagram for 1999 Suburban factory amp harness?

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2017, 6:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring diagram for 1999 Suburban factory amp harness?

1999 Suburban LS, has a small amp next to steering column and an extra harness next to antenna input on main radio. Installed a new stereo and no sound from rear doors. I tried powering the pink wire which did not work. Thanks.
Old November 17th, 2019, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by William Munney
1999 Suburban LS, has a small amp next to steering column and an extra harness next to antenna input on main radio. Installed a new stereo and no sound from rear doors. I tried powering the pink wire which did not work. Thanks.
I bought a 1999 Chevy Tahoe that had an aftermarket radio installed and had this same issue, the only solutions I was able to discover was to find a "reverse plug adapter" that contained both the usual 16 pin plug along with a 10 pin plug for the amp (unsuccessful after many hours searching) or bypass the factory amp (which was surprisingly easy). Under the dash on the right side of the steering column was the factory amp, I unplugged the 10 pin plug and cut it off, next I taped off the orange and black wires separately (these are the positive and ground power feeds to the amp) mine was not on a dedicated fuse so I could not permanently disconnect the positive wire without losing other accessories. Next I connected the corresponding colored wires to the speaker wires for the rear doors, mine were brown to white, and tan to yellow for the left side, then blue to red, and light blue to tan for the right. All 8 speakers worked fine after this. If you are unsure which wires connect where you can look at the speaker connection above the cargo area and the ones in the rear doors then match up the wires to these.

Last edited by Bill S.; November 17th, 2019 at 8:11 PM.
Old May 25th, 2022, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

My issue is related to this factory amp I believe… i have a 99 GMC Suburban SLT k2500, I just finished hooking up an aftermarket unit, and have sound to all speakers. Everything seems to work great.

When I power down everything the fuse relay that is right next to my amp starts going off. It clicks nonstop and fairly fast, like a fast drip (if that makes any sense).

It seems to be getting power when the vehicle is shut down, I don’t know why else it would be clicking. I have replaced the relay with a new one as a blind shot in the dark, makes no difference… any help is appreciated, or ideas of what to look for…