Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Yay, I found something else that needs fixing!!

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2016, 3:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yay, I found something else that needs fixing!!

LOL! Every year I'm having something pop up that is wrong with my 07 Tahoe! Something I feel shouldn't be happening to a 10 year old vehicle (its a pre 2007 model; I bought it back in April of 2006). It has 205K miles on it. So the stealer told me last visit, when I had the lower transmission cooler line replaced and the power steering pressure line replaced, that my front axle seals need replacing. I also have been having what I think are rear differential bearing whining, and another unidentified scrubbing noise, which I think it either rear axle bearings or the pinion bearing in the rear differential.

So then today when I was changing oil, so that I could start using my Range Technology device, and start my data collection while using the device, I see this...
Attached Thumbnails Yay, I found something else that needs fixing!!-img_4989a.jpg   Yay, I found something else that needs fixing!!-img_4990a.jpg  
Old March 11th, 2016, 3:50 PM
CF Senior Member

I'm tempted to try this repair to replace the pinion seal myself, but I have pretty bad vertigo, so it suck being under a car on my back looking up. I get very nauseated. lol! And this repair would take me a long time to do. Then I would still have to fill the rear diff up with fluid which I'm not comfortable doing either, lol. Thank goodness for credit cards! lol! I may just have to take my chances at the stealer or maybe hope and pray I can find a good honest transmission shop to do the work.

EDIT: Is it safe to assume there is a vent tube in the rear axle?

Last edited by Typerod; March 12th, 2016 at 2:24 PM.
Old March 13th, 2016, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vent tube 'usually' comes out the top of the differential, passenger side, above and slightly rearward of the fill plug on the passenger side. The tube 'usually' is routed up, across to the driver's side, up again, and affixed near the frame rail, or on some a bit higher near the backside of the fuel filler neck.

Your mileage may vary, but some weepage from the pinion seal isn't cause for immediate concern. Routinely adding lubricant is rather simple, and only takes a few moments under the vehicle. It would be worth buying one of the bottle-top pumps to make it simpler.

The real question comes if the scrubbing sound is indeed a bearing failure in the differential, and the shards and swarf have gouged the seal lips, OR, if you just have a worn seal from usual wear.
Old March 14th, 2016, 7:47 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hrpchr
The vent tube 'usually' comes out the top of the differential, passenger side, above and slightly rearward of the fill plug on the passenger side. The tube 'usually' is routed up, across to the driver's side, up again, and affixed near the frame rail, or on some a bit higher near the backside of the fuel filler neck.

Your mileage may vary, but some weepage from the pinion seal isn't cause for immediate concern. Routinely adding lubricant is rather simple, and only takes a few moments under the vehicle. It would be worth buying one of the bottle-top pumps to make it simpler.

The real question comes if the scrubbing sound is indeed a bearing failure in the differential, and the shards and swarf have gouged the seal lips, OR, if you just have a worn seal from usual wear.
Thanks for your response! I'll keep this thread updated once, I get these issues looked into and possibly fixed, IF I can afford to fix them, lol.