Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

08 Suburban remote start wont work

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2013, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2008 HHR radio...

I'm going to play around with removing the door panel and see that I can see...

I think it may be something with the BCM or something to do with the GMLAN...
Old November 17th, 2014, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

My remote start is not working either but as all of you my lights blink as it normally would when it did start, and also my check engine light is coming on and off and norally comes on when I am sitting still idling I have had it hooked up to a computer and it throws a code for a throttle body positioning censor, when I call to have a price for the part at the dealer ship or a mechanic shop they tell me it could be 1 of 3 diff parts one starting at like 45 an one at 90 and then one being 300 and they cant tell me exactly which one with out checking it out and charging me money to diagnose it.
Old November 17th, 2014, 9:42 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Remote start won't work when a code is set. The DTCs don't necessarily tell you what part needs to be replaced. There's an extensive fault tree for diagnosis in the FSM to get to the bad part.
Old July 6th, 2015, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default suburban help

Have a 2008 suburban with remote start. Key fob wont start it but now it will start on IRS on and sometimes wont cut off even with the key Chevrolet Customer Service;200209]turfpro102,

There are several possible reasons why the vehicle's remote start would not start the vehicle. Here are a few possibilities:

The vehicle can only be started with the remote twice before having to start with the key. The vehicle will automatically shut off after 10 minutes unless a time extension has been done. If the remote start is pressed again, after being started, it will extend the running time by an additional 10 minutes. Once two remote starts or a single remote start with one time extension has been done, the vehicle must be started with the key.

Additional possible causes: the vehicle cannot be started if the key is in the ignition, the hood is not closed or if there is an emission control system malfunction and the Check Engine light is displayed. The engine will also turn off during a remote start if the coolant temperature gets too high or if the oil pressure gets low.

It is also possible that the remote may need to be reprogrammed. To reprogram the remote, the vehicle must be in park. Instructions are as followed:

1. Press the trip odometer reset stem until RELEARN REMOTE KEY displays.
2. Press and hold the trip odometer reset stem for three seconds. The message REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE will display.
3. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first transmitter at the same time for about 15 seconds. On vehicles with memory recall seats, the first transmitter learned will match driver 1 and the second will match driver 2. A chime will sound indicating that the transmitter is matched.
4. To match additional transmitters at this time, repeat Step 3. Each vehicle can have a maximum of eight transmitters matched to it.
5. To exit the programming mode, you must cycle the key to LOCK/OFF.

I hope one of these options resolves your remote start issue. If not, I encourage you to visit with your local dealer. They should be able to assist you further.

For your reference, the information provided here is also available in your owner's manual.

Remote Start: pages 2-9 & 2-10
Relearn Remote Key: page 3-64

A digital copy of the manual is available at the GM Owner Center at: GM Owners Center - GM. It is free to join. The Owner Center provides you with a digital copy of your owner's manual, stores your service records, allows you to schedule an appointment with your dealer and many other amenities all available at no charge to our loyal GM vehicle owners.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

Louis
GM Customer Service[/QUOTE]
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by littlejoe55
have a 2008 suburban with remote start. Key fob wont start it but now it will start on irs on and sometimes wont cut off even with the key chevrolet customer service;200209]turfpro102,

there are several possible reasons why the vehicle's remote start would not start the vehicle. Here are a few possibilities:

The vehicle can only be started with the remote twice before having to start with the key. The vehicle will automatically shut off after 10 minutes unless a time extension has been done. If the remote start is pressed again, after being started, it will extend the running time by an additional 10 minutes. Once two remote starts or a single remote start with one time extension has been done, the vehicle must be started with the key.

Additional possible causes: The vehicle cannot be started if the key is in the ignition, the hood is not closed or if there is an emission control system malfunction and the check engine light is displayed. The engine will also turn off during a remote start if the coolant temperature gets too high or if the oil pressure gets low.

It is also possible that the remote may need to be reprogrammed. To reprogram the remote, the vehicle must be in park. Instructions are as followed:

1. Press the trip odometer reset stem until relearn remote key displays.
2. Press and hold the trip odometer reset stem for three seconds. The message remote key learning active will display.
3. Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the first transmitter at the same time for about 15 seconds. On vehicles with memory recall seats, the first transmitter learned will match driver 1 and the second will match driver 2. A chime will sound indicating that the transmitter is matched.
4. To match additional transmitters at this time, repeat step 3. Each vehicle can have a maximum of eight transmitters matched to it.
5. To exit the programming mode, you must cycle the key to lock/off.

i hope one of these options resolves your remote start issue. If not, i encourage you to visit with your local dealer. They should be able to assist you further.

For your reference, the information provided here is also available in your owner's manual.

Remote start: Pages 2-9 & 2-10
relearn remote key: Page 3-64

a digital copy of the manual is available at the gm owner center at: gm owners center - gm. It is free to join. The owner center provides you with a digital copy of your owner's manual, stores your service records, allows you to schedule an appointment with your dealer and many other amenities all available at no charge to our loyal gm vehicle owners.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Have a great day!

louis
gm customer service
[/quote]