Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2001 Suburban Rust on Rocker Panels

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2016, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Suburban Rust on Rocker Panels

Hi,

I have large amount of rust on the lower fenders and rocker panels. The rust has made a sharp edge and the little one cut her foot on it. I was thinking about cutting out the rust and put something over it? I am not able to weld new metal myself. I was wondering about removing as much rust as I could and then get some kind of plastic rocker panel to cover the rust. Is there some factor rocker molding that can be used to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Old August 1st, 2016, 2:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Cutting out all of the old rust and welding in a new panel is the best solution. Since you can't weld, I would cut out all the rusted metal and use fiberglass cloth and fiberglass resin to replace the metal. You can also use Bondo over the fiberglass. Depending how big the area is, this can do a decent job.
Old August 1st, 2016, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Cutting out all of the old rust and welding in a new panel is the best solution. Since you can't weld, I would cut out all the rusted metal and use fiberglass cloth and fiberglass resin to replace the metal. You can also use Bondo over the fiberglass. Depending how big the area is, this can do a decent job.
Yeah I thought about the fiberglass too but there isn't any molding that goes over the top of that area? I thought I seen other suburbans with something plastic covering this area.

Thanks,
Tom
Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

If the fiberglass is done correctly, then it will not need any moulding to cover it.