Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2003 Suburban 1500 , 4x4 clunking noise in turns

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2016, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Suburban 1500 , 4x4 clunking noise in turns

Good afternoon,
My very first post here !

I have an 03 Burb clunking in a turn while in 4x4. Straight away is not a problem and 2 wheel drive there is no problem at all. I just changed the half the case on the transfer case from the hole they get from the oiler inside. Put new gear lube in it. No problems on the lift in 4 high or low while turning the wheels left and right. Of course there is no load at this point. This was with the front drive shaft in and out to isolate the transfer case.
On the road it clunks in turns and not on the straight away. I am going to check the ride height on the torsion bars. They are maxed out now, (from an earlier lift kit) but was never a problem before. The 4x4 also was not working then. Possible the ride height is too high and causing the CV to bind ? I tried each CV shaft and did not see any play in them , at least more than normal. Sounds like the front end. Like I said on the lift, there is no noise in the transfer case. I did find a bad u joint on the front drive shaft and swapped it out. No difference in the noise I'm writing about but did get rid of the vibration. Any help would be appreciated ! Thanks !