Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2004 Suburban 2500 Pulsing Brake Pedal and Shaking - New brakes

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2017, 11:07 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Suburban 2500 Pulsing Brake Pedal and Shaking - New brakes

I have a 2004 Suburban 2500 with the torsion bars (HD). A year ago I replaced the front brake setup (that was working perfect) as part of regular maintenance.

I installed new Hawk Rotors and Pads and Centric calipers and AC Delco brake hoses. Everything was great for about 8-weeks and then a brake pulsing/shudder crept in. This went on until it got so back that this week I replaced the badly damaged Hawk rotors with GM OE rotors and pads. I also changed the front wheel bearings to eliminate the ABS sensors and the fact I have 217K miles on the beast.

The pulsing STILL seems to be there! I pulled the ABS fuse and it really made no difference. I was sure the rotor swap would have solved the issue as there's a LOT more cooling fins on the HD, GM OE rotors than the Hawk ones that seem to be for the the 1500 or 2500 with the coil spring front end. I assumed the Hawk rotors were overheating and the cause of the damage to them. The pads had worn evenly and were in good shape...just the rotors were thrashed.

I also replaced a leaking Hydro-boost unit about 2 years ago but maybe that is the cause of my issues??? ABS???? The Centric calipers??? Contaminated PS fluid???

Back brakes are two years old and there seems to be zero damage to the rotor surfaces. I used all AC Delco OE parts on the rear rebuild.

I want to return to the perfect braking I had before installing the Hawk rotors, pads and Centric calipers!!
Old June 28th, 2017, 3:25 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

What was the problem that led to the rotor change in the first place?