Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2012, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Clunking Noise

I have a clunking noise coming from the drivers side front when I hit a small bump. Does anybody have an idea of what this moght be. I have been told that the bushings tend to go in these vehicles but I do not want to pay the labor charge if this is not what it is. Also, the previous owner only replaced one side of the back brakes. It makes a weird noise when backing uo and I was told that it is the brake that was not replaced. Does this sound correct? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

squaker77,

It is difficult to diagnose an issue like this over the internet. It may be the torsion bar crossmember bushing. Also, the noise you hear when backing up may be the brakes. These are merely suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis. I recommend you have the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for a more accurate diagnosis.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 20th, 2012, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Louis
Old April 23rd, 2012, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Does the clunking noise only happen when you stop and then go? My Tahoe developed a clunkling noise, sounded like it was the transmission or rear end but it ended up being the drive shaft yoke. There are several articles on here about that. I took the shaft out and greased it and I haven't had the noice since.